Max ISO before noise

wiz561

Hi!

I'm throwing this out there to see what people set their maximum ISO to before noise starts coming into play. I had mine set to 800, but think that maybe I should up it a little more....possibly all the way up to 6400.

I shoot raw and noticed some noise at around ISO 1000, I believe. However, I have a feeling that when printed out at 4x6 paper, you wouldn't be able to tell. I didn't test it, but just saw it when I zoomed way in.

So, I was wondering what people's max ISO is.

thanks!

fotojack

Max ISO depends on a lot of factors, but mostly available light, and to a certain extent, shutter speed. ISO is used in conjunction with Aperture and Shutter to achieve proper exposure. For outdoors on sunny or partly cloudy days, I use ISO 100. Indoors.....depends on the available light. I don't use high ISO's just to say I use high ISO's. It's not a badge of honour! Some cameras are better at it than others, but as long as you can achieve a good exposure, then that's the ISO you use. Hope you can understand what I'm getting at here. :)

wiz561

Thanks for the responses. I usually shoot at 100 or 200 while outside on a sunny day. It looks like, according to Don's testing, that at about over 1600 is when you can start seeing some noise when zoomed in. Zoomed out, it's not a huge deal, but when you start looking at the details, you can start seeing it.

So.....from this test, and this thread, you should shoot at what works with the light you have......but in the meantime, keep in mind to not go over ISO 1600.

Thanks for the responses. I usually shoot at 100 or 200 while outside on a sunny day. It looks like, according to Don's testing, that at about over 1600 is when you can start seeing some noise when zoomed in. Zoomed out, it's not a huge deal, but when you start looking at the details, you can start seeing it.

So.....from this test, and this thread, you should shoot at what works with the light you have......but in the meantime, keep in mind to not go over ISO 1600.

Go as high as you have to to get the shot. Better to have a little noise than no photo.

Here is one I shot last night while taking a walk around out little downtown area very near dark. I had to bump it up to ISO 3200 to get a shot.

dsc_7630.jpg