Vivitar 283 flash

I have a Vivitar 283 flash (the older kind) it works just fine, but I don't really understand how to use it that much- I got it second hand- and tried to find videos on YT about it but didn't really find that many. Am planning to get a Nikon D7100 hopefully by the end of this month if I can and am wondering if that flash will work on that camera? How do I use this flash??

RockyNH_RIP

My best suggestion, to start, would be to google it to find a users manual...
That may at least get you some info... what camera are you using now?

Pat in NH

My best suggestion, to start, would be to google it to find a users manual...
That may at least get you some info... what camera are you using now?

Pat in NH

okay, thanks- I will go and google it to see if I can find the users manual. I am currently using a Nikon D2H. I looked up the manual, found it, and it says stuff about film and the color code selected on the dial, the instructions don't seem to make sense.. maybe I am just confused.

Last edited:

photoweborama

I still have a 283 also. Broken flash shoe, replaced it once already.... Yes, not good on DSLR's. I've heard they can blow circuit boards due to the power differences. I don't know if it is true, just what I've read...

Sent from my iPhone

I still have a 283 also. Broken flash shoe, replaced it once already.... Yes, not good on DSLR's. I've heard they can blow circuit boards due to the power differences. I don't know if it is true, just what I've read...

Sent from my iPhone

oh that's great, I won't be using it anymore lol till I learn more about it- thanks for the heads up! I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you're looking for an excellent (and cheap) flash, check out the LumoPro LP160 or LP180.

okay, thanks, where can you get that from? looked on BH photo and can't find it on there

Depending on how they will use it, the LumoPro LP180 might be a bit much. Yongnuo is a good alternative and cheaper.

Tapp'n on the go

Once I get into portraits and such- I am going to use it for that type of thing- I found the LumoPro where I can get it from. I will also check out the Yongnuo and the Lumopro too

Not enough cheaper to make up the difference in quality. One of my LumoPros was submerged under water for over an hour. That was 3 years ago, and it still works like a champ.

wow, seriously?! that is awesome!! That would be worth the extra $ alone- and my goal is to become a professional- so I think I should go ahead and get the higher end one probably but I will def. look at both flashes suggested. :)

maybe I will get the Yongnuo one- need to research both- haven't really done a lot of flash photography and most of my photography is currently landscape and nature photography- but currently in school at the NYIP so will be venturing into portraits and those types of photos and will need a good flash- if the quality is the same on the 2 then it doesn't matter to me, this will probably go on my Christmas list LOL!

Browncoat

No ziplock.

Somewhere on this site (I'm too lazy to search and link it), are details of the flood. Was staying @ my parent's house for a bit, and their basement flooded, ruining a lot of my gear. Once the insurance check came in, I actually bought a new LP160 to replace the one I thought was destroyed. After drying it out for a few days, it turned on and has worked like a charm ever since. Aside from a small spot of rust on one of the battery terminals, it looks exactly like my new one.

FWIW, I think I also had 3 PocketWizards in that mess. 2 of them were trashed, but one of them did dry out enough to work and I still use it to this day as well. The others had to be replaced.