Nikonites in different languages?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
There is a plugin I can use that would translate the entire site into many different languages. The translations are not perfect, but they are pretty good (it uses Google translate and is updated with their latest translations in almost real time)

If a user posts in a different language the post is automatically translated into the users native language. So for example, if someone posts in Spanish, and your language is set to English, their post would automatically be translated to English on your end, and your posts would automatically be translated into Spanish for them.

It would allow for people that do not speak English to collaborate with other Nikon users around the world. Do you think something like this would be useful?

Joseph Bautsch

I think a translator plugin would expand the reach of Nikonites to a lot more Nikon users. It can also greatly expand the base of knowledge and experience that would be available to all Nikonites to learn from. I say go for it.

Carolina Photo Guy

Seriously, I would like to caution about one thing.

All of us, MYSELF included (at the top of the list!), would have to be very careful about our humor.

What we take as good natured ribbing would probably be considered offensive to the global community.

I'm afraid that we might lose our sense of family that we have now.

Just my 99 cents worth.

Pete

Ruidoso Bill

"What we take as good natured ribbing would probably be considered offensive to the global community."

I get offeneded (primarily by what I write) all the time, yea sure...

Since we are a global community it's a great idea, I just hope moderation is always english.

ohkphoto

Snow White
All of us, MYSELF included (at the top of the list!), would have to be very careful about our humor.

What we take as good natured ribbing would probably be considered offensive to the global community.

I'm afraid that we might lose our sense of family that we have now.

I also would not like to lose this, and would hope that our spontanaity and humor are not stifled. It's up to us to not let that happen. I think it's worth a try to make this site more global if the translations are automatic and seamless. What I would not want to see is everything in a thread is English and then along come several posts in a different language and I have to do a google translate. Most people know that a lot is lost in translation and that humor is different from country to country. Might give others a chance to learn about other types of humor.

And actually, Pete, I haven't seen you post anything that could be construed as offensive in another culture (that I know of), and I for one don't want you to change by feeling you have to hold back LOL

Best Regards

ohkphoto

Snow White
Do you think something like this would be useful?

Jdeg, it's really nice of you to ask our opinion, even though this is your site. I for one really appreciate this as well as your keeping the site so well-run!

Best Regards

Carolina Photo Guy

I have been reading over the posts and I have to come to the conclusion that I appear to be against the translations.

Actually, that could not be further from the truth. I guess that I just want everyone to consider ALL of the ramifications, not just the short term

advantages. I really do feel this is like an extended family that I don't have to loan money to! I am afraid that this could be lost if all of us are

not fully cognizant of the changes that we are about to incur.

As far as I am concerned, the translations will only increase my audience from this continent to the whole dang world.

Hell, I can insult EVERYONE now!!!

Just my 99 cents worth.

Pete

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Helene, you're welcome. This is a community - I'd like to think it's somewhat democratic. :)

Pete, I understand the concern - From my experience with the plugin, the people it brings to the site won't necessarily be primary posters. They'll realize things are translated and may not necessarily find value in the content until a lot of others have posted in their language. It may also take a while for people to actually start coming to the site that don't speak English. It won't be instant.

I'm glad you guys are actually thinking about how this could work.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
What I would not want to see is everything in a thread is English and then along come several posts in a different language and I have to do a google translate.

Actually that would be handled automatically. Theoretically you could have a thread where people are speaking multiple languages. It would all be translated to their language on the fly.

Joseph Bautsch

I think we have to consider ourselves as an educational site as much as a Nikon site. Learning about other cultures and their humor will be as beneficial for us as learning about their photography styles and techniques. Not to do this because we are afraid of accidentally offending someone in a translation is being a little too politically correct. Things will get lost in any computerized translation. It can't be helped. Everyone has to understand that and not take offense.

fotojack

I totally agree, Joseph. Personally I'm sick and tired of having to be worried if I've inadvertently offended someone because of cultural differences. Why must we be the ones who are always apologizing for the things we do and say! I'm one of the least politically correct people you'll ever meet, but I do use diplomacy when it's called for. I never see a need to be rude or offensive to anyone, for any reason...but I will not change who I am for anyone.
Having said that.....Pete, I totally understand where you're coming from, bud. You have nothing to apologize for either. Just stay the way you are. Everyone here love ya! :)

AxeMan - Rick S.

I'm all for it, and agree it would be interesting to see other styles of photography. Also if you think about it we could get some early reviews on products that have a later USA release date right here on our site instead of using Goggle, I.E the SB-700 Speedlight. The other thing I think we would need to do is get the word out that we are a multi-language site, and that we are another Nikon community. The only reason I'm here is because of a Facebook Side Bar Ad, if it was not for that I would have never found this site or even thought about joining one. Yes after the fact I did look around that other site, but I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get here and think we should share it and our knowledge (and Pete, lol) with the rest of the world.

Rick

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I am surprised how many hits my personal website gets from links using the google translator. Anything that widens the audience has to be a good thing.