35mm lens for wedding photography?

wud

I am having problems with my 50mm - maybe a focusing problem but havent shown until recently :sorrow: Dont know if I should go and see if the shop will take it back, or if I should sell it (to someone I know, it should be fine for what he is going to use it for).

Well anyhow, I am doing a wedding this saturday and last weekend I used the 70-200mm for the ceremony but this got me way to close, the room are pretty small.

So now I am wondering if the 35mm could do the job. Iso I had on 2500 on the 70-200mm and its very subtle noise on the images. But my shutter were still a bit to low, so next time I'll use flash.

Gah. Dreaming about 24-70mm.

SkvLTD

Well, generally speaking, I would cover the whole focal length spectrum regardless of what you're shooting. Never know what you might want to snap, and there's nothing worse than simply not having that one lens that would make or break a day.

And though I've never really shot weddings, I'd imagine the environment and working room can vary quite a bit, so being able to work in tight quarters and from far away would be essential.

Browncoat

You mentioned all the "must have" lenses I would have in my bag for a wedding:
  • ​70-200mm
  • 50mm prime
  • 24-70mm
A macro lens is also good for those close-up ring shots, and a wide angle lens for getting some creative/distorted perspective shots.

fotojack

I once shot a wedding (outdoor) with nothing more than an 18-105, a 55-300, and an SB-700 speed light, using a D200. The couple loved every shot I took! Sometimes it's not all about the lenses or the camera, but how the shots were framed, composed and delivered. Go figure. :)

wud

You mentioned all the "must have" lenses I would have in my bag for a wedding:
  • ​70-200mm
  • 50mm prime
  • 24-70mm
A macro lens is also good for those close-up ring shots, and a wide angle lens for getting some creative/distorted perspective shots.

I dont wanna go home with a lot of almost-there shots, so the 50mm arent going. And the 24-70mm I dont own ;)

Well, generally speaking, I would cover the whole focal length spectrum regardless of what you're shooting. Never know what you might want to snap, and there's nothing worse than simply not having that one lens that would make or break a day.

And though I've never really shot weddings, I'd imagine the environment and working room can vary quite a bit, so being able to work in tight quarters and from far away would be essential.

Oh I of course bring all my lenses and will change around for the outdoors pictures, but you always use one more than the others (at least I do). The ceremony are in this semi-small room and doesn't take long, so no time for changing a lens. And this part are pretty essential!

I once shot a wedding (outdoor) with nothing more than an 18-105, a 55-300, and an SB-700 speed light, using a D200. The couple loved every shot I took! Sometimes it's not all about the lenses or the camera, but how the shots were framed, composed and delivered. Go figure. :)

True. Guess I am worried, because so many say 50mm and above are best for portraits, but I cant really figure out if they mean close up portraits.

SkvLTD

Well, you know though, a close-quarters-combat prime will yield better shots than most zooms out there (within reasonable price of course), and if its the shortest yet most crucial part of the whole shabang, I'd switch to a best lens just for it.