Broken me or broken D600? Help please!

LouisJ

Hi all, been experimenting with some long exposures today using my new B+W ND110 and All of the images have a light blue streak in the exact same place.
-The viewfinder was covered with the plastic thingy, I also shot with it off and the blue image spoiler appeared once again.
-Its not flare as I moved around and it kept appearing despite different subject matter
-I don't think its the filter as I've examined it for problems in the sun and cant find anything... I also rotated it around, despite this the spot appeared in the same place
-All exposures were over 30 seconds using a 20mm lens, I experimented with different f stops and it came back again.

Yes I'm aware the sensor is covered in oil, this isn't my primary concern.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or what the camera isn't doing right?

Photo attached with the bad bits circled...

Thanks! D600.jpg

LouisJ

The sun was directly behind me, when I took photos of something different it also appeared in the same place as you will see on this image... are you as puzzled as I am?4235-1.jpg

Geoffc

The D300 did exactly the same thing. It was light leaking through the AF light housing on the front of the camera. To test, put the lens cap on a take a two min exposure in daylight. We have to put a cloth over the light on the 300. We have two D300s and they both do it!,

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The D300 did exactly the same thing. It was light leaking through the AF light housing on the front of the camera. To test, put the lens cap on a take a two min exposure in daylight. We have to put a cloth over the light on the 300. We have two D300s and they both do it!,

That makes sense. I was going to ask if you get the same result with a different lens to rule that possibility out.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Has your sensor been cleaned in the past? Perhaps it has some type of residue left over from the cleaning solution, and maybe when that area gets hit with the light, it causes the light to diffract?

LouisJ

Testing today I have ruled out the possibility of a light leak, I also got the same result using a different lens... I'm thinking maybe something weird has set up camp on my sensor, perhaps its time to give Nikon a visit, I haven't touched the sensor in the past, camera is less than a month old.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Testing today I have ruled out the possibility of a light leak, I also got the same result using a different lens... I'm thinking maybe something weird has set up camp on my sensor, perhaps its time to give Nikon a visit, I haven't touched the sensor in the past, camera is less than a month old.

Less than a month old--I'd exchange it.

LouisJ

I've finally got to the bottom of the problem, sensor was cleaned yesterday which wasn't the issue. Light is leaking through the AF assist lamp like another member kindly suggested :) it only showed up under sunlight, not under a lamp. Has anyone else had this problem with the D600? only appears to show up on exposures over 30 seconds.

Geoffc

They never fixed the 300 and it only shows on 30+ sec exposures in bright light. Rather than getting stressed just drape a bit of cloth over the AF light and all is well.

On the bright side my D800 doesn't do it. I must try my wife's D7100.

LouisJ

I've just put black tape over it rather than waiting for it to sit around the Nikon center gathering dust for a month... far too impatient! Thanks for everyone's help... :)