Standing in the Rain

Taken with a Nikon D90,SB-24,Hahnel combi tf.
1/50,f/1.8,ISO800

I was trying out some new techniques with a friend of mine, who needed a new profile pic for Facebook.

It started raining and this idea popped into my head.

Post processing done with LR5 and Nik Silver Efex, Nik Dfine.

9714160760_029afc34d6_b.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
That's very nice composition, I like it. That said, I think if you cropped it closer to the subject and remove some of the excess space surrounding the subject the image would have more of an impact. Otherwise, a technically difficult image done very well. Congrats!

Light on a stand behind subject, pointed at the subject? Not sure how ya got the rain to look like that, but looks awesome.

I used a SB-24 with a Hahnel Combi TF off-shoe trigger.

I aimed it straight at me and placed the subject between me and the flash

----

As for the cropping suggestion, that would not increase the impact, it would reduce it because you'd see less of the rain.

wud

Its a great picture, but I dont like the sign o left side and the all-kind-of-stuff on right side. Makes me look there, instead of on the subject.

Its a great picture, but I dont like the sign o left side and the all-kind-of-stuff on right side. Makes me look there, instead of on the subject.

Wish i had godlike powers and move them off the picture with telekinesis, but i couldn't, this was quite an on-the-go sudden idea i wanted to try :)
So, the location wasn't perfect, but i used what i could, and it turned out pretty darn awesome

wud

Wish i had godlike powers and move them off the picture with telekinesis, but i couldn't, this was quite an on-the-go sudden idea i wanted to try :)
So, the location wasn't perfect, but i used what i could, and it turned out pretty darn awesome

Lol, those powers could be great - but what if you had just moved the guy further behind? Then you moved closer too, and the stuff on the sides wouldn't have been so visible.

Either that, a tighter crop or some vignette to darken them.

fotojack

Well...contrary to how wud feels about it, I love this shot exactly the way it is. It has impact, visual interest all over, great comp, lighting is awesome......all in all, an awesome shot. Congrats! :)

Browncoat

I want to like this.

It's a good concept, but it looks unfinished. This looks more like an initial test shot than a final. The flash is too close to the subject and there's just way too much lost detail to call this one finished. A second flash or reflector in the front would've made this one better.

I also agree with wud. A tighter crop on this is needed. Probably some random raindrop removal as well.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I agree with critics given so far. One thing I'd like to add is that the light coming through his pants should be retouched out. It looks funny or not so funny to me.

But the concept and effort should be commanded.