New to the world of photography

TNCerealKilla

Hello to all the nikonites out there. I am new to this world and learning this all on the fly. I got into researching about cameras for my wives birthday, then while looking into what to buy and what not to buy I got inerested in what all you can do and how to get good quality pics of the family and so on. So the wives birthday came and I got the d3100 kit and a 32 gig card for her.... but since I was now wanting to play with it I had to get her something sparkly for her and the camera as a gift for the family.

But all I can say is wow there is a lot about these thing I didn't know about. I always thought it was point and shoot and how ever deep your pockets were is how good of a picture you would get. And I figured the top photographers in the industry probably just knew the right people and invested in the right toys to get where they are. And boy I was wrong. This is truly a talent, and learned trade.

But here are some photos I have been mainly playing with on jpeg and editing with a trail of corel photoshop XI, which seems to be really user friendly.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
  • what prize.jpg
    what prize.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 96

Horoscope Fish

But all I can say is wow there is a lot about these thing I didn't know about. I always thought it was point and shoot and how ever deep your pockets were is how good of a picture you would get. ... And boy I was wrong. This is truly a talent, and learned trade.
Well, you're off to a good start.

Oh and what is the best advice that one can give to a newb.
Composition, composition, composition.

Read: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography.

Browncoat

Stay away from kenrockwell dot com and you'll be just fine.

The main thing is, just take more pictures. You'll go through the cat phase, the garden flowers phase, and eventually arranging objects under shop lights phase, just the like rest of us did. The main thing is, post your pics, ask questions, and just keep pushing the button.

Krs_2007

Welcome, good start would be to take a bunch of picture in the various modes the camera has. Set a goal to use each mode and fully learn what it's purpose is. Snap a way and enjoy.

noemi

I am just a hobby photographer nothing professional but what I can say take the camera EVERYWHERE take a lots of pictures from 100 you will have just one that is really good but after a while from those 100 shots you will have 30 really good one. When I started 2 years ago I tried to take pictures from the same object from different angles just trying to figure out what's best for you.

fotojack

And PLEASE...try going through the manual. It really does have a whole lot of info in there that is, believe it or not, helpful. :)

TNCerealKilla

I have read the manual. And I sat on the couch for 4 hours taking pictures of a coke can playing with all the different modes. Than all the adjustments in manual and seeing what they do. Lol. And I found out that froknowsphoto on YouTube has probable the beat videos for the d3100 IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

TNCerealKilla

I do some hiking with my kids( 1-2 nighters) and was wondering how do some of you pack your cameras in a backpacking situation?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4