strange bulb

bechdan

found this old bulb at my great aunts house
It says Atlas 230/250v 50w
This is it - not particularly bright. what the hell is it for?

atlasbulb_zps350ab14a.jpg

Fred Kingston

[h=3]Birth of the Company[edit source | editbeta][/h]The Thorn brand started life as the Electric Lamp Service Company Limited, established by Sir Jules Thorn on 29 March 1928, importing incandescent filament lamps and radio valves from the continent. Faced with increased import duties,[SUP][3][/SUP] introduced to aid British manufacturing, Jules Thorn bought his first lighting factory, the Atlas Lamp Works Ltd in Edmonton, north London in 1932. In 1936 the company went public as Thorn Electrical Industries.[/QUOTE]

Found the above looking for an Atlas lamp.... the design looks similar to early projector bulbs...

bechdan

thanks fred, I dont know if these things just take hours to warm up or what, ive lit farts that were brighter than that!

Carolina Photo Guy

found this old bulb at my great aunts house
It says Atlas 230/250v 50w
This is it - not particularly bright. What the hell is it for?

Light bulbs are used to make stuff what ain't light bulbs brighter under the theory that where there ain't no light, stuff is dark.
Hence, the name "light" bulbs instead of "it don't make no difference" bulbs.

Hope this helps. :excitement:

brads

Strange, I can't see an image in Bechdan's first posting here. Does it happen to anyone else?

Similarly, for the first post in my Photos from the D3200 thread, the image of my Lotus flower, flashes up then disappears from my screen. Be interested to know if these things happen anywhere else. Cheers, Brad :)