Trouble Gripping the d7100

Nathan Lanni

Hi folks

Hope is all is well with you.

I fall in love with my d7100 more and more each day as I learn more about it.

My problem is the camera body is small in my hands and the grip is way too small for my hands. I'm over 6 feet tall and have large hands. Walking around I find I'm gripping the hand hold with my finger tips - combine that with slightly oily skin - it's just the sort of disaster I have nightmare over. Against my better judgement (I hate anything that can tangle like electrical cords, neck straps, etc.) I installed the neck strap and it cost me over $300 USD because within a day I snagged the strap and dropped the camera. IMO a neck strap is very cumbersome with a zoom lens.

I have to do something, and need your advice. Part of the problem there are so many choices so please feel free to make recommendations for something that works for you.

Last edited:

Nathan Lanni

Seriously?

I thought I was being respectful with my opening line indicating how much I like my d7100.

It seems hard to believe no one else has experienced this type of problem.

pedroj

Seriously....Why buy something that isn't right for you....If it doesn't fit buy something that will...Use a tripod..

Geoffc

Have you considered a battery grip? That's the way most people with this problem go. You can get third party units for £45 in the uk.

Also have a look at black rapid straps. I can use mine with a gripped D800 and 70-200 2.8 lens attached.

Geoffc

Seriously....Why buy something that isn't right for you....If it doesn't fit buy something that will...Use a tripod..

This is a harsh and unreasonable response, the guy only asked a question and the D800 is the next size up at an extra £1200 in the uk. A D4 is an extra £3200. These are hardly solutions.

pedroj

This is a harsh and unreasonable response, the guy only asked a question and the D800 is the next size up at an extra £1200 in the uk. A D4 is an extra £3200. These are hardly solutions.

He is not the only bloke around that is over six feet....He said the grip is way to small for him so the obvious solution is to buy a camera that suits...

Why buy something you are not comfortable using...

Moab Man

Teague your best option is going to be a grip for the camera. Unfortunately for you there just aren't that many of us with polar bear paws :)

I really would try and find a strap that you can live with. whether its around my neck or wrist I always keep it secured to myself because you never know when a slip might happen.

Scott Murray

I would recommend a battery grip which has previously been suggested. Also there may be close fitting gloves that may provide extra grip.

oldsalt

For what it's worth - now that I have bought an 800E I find it "easier" to grip than my old D7000 (which my wife now uses) ... the grip is a little larger and a slightly different shape ... not a solution I know - just my observation. When I first bought my D7000 I had the same feeling as you "it wasn't quite right" to grip - and as I say it wasn't till I got the 800 that I felt "comfortable" using my camera....
I also fitted a "Carry Speed" shoulder strap to my new camera which attaches to a base plate on the camera - it's great - the camera just hangs at my side (facing downwards) and is always ready to use - the classic neck strap is a pain in the neck - literally !!!!
Good luck with your camera.
cheers

Nathan Lanni

@ Geoffc, Moab Man, Scott Murray, oldsalt - really want to thank you guys for your suggestions.

Hey, Moab Man, maybe I should change my username to O'l Polar Bear Paws. :)

Although I can afford the d4, It's a bit out of my league right now. But if I was serious about the top shelf rig, I'd wait for the update + I need to invest in much better glass.

Just for kicks and giggles, I'll take a look at the d800 just to see what it's like. Likely need to run over to LA because the local stores don't have one.

I'll look at the battery grip, Black Rapids strap, "Carry Speed" shoulder strap.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

kiawui

Go to the camera store and ask for a battery grip for testing. I am sure you will feel much better. I recommend getting the original Nikon grip because the build is far superior and more comfortable in my opinion. More expensive but definitely worth the money.

Unless you really are still uncomfortable even with the grip attached. I don't see any reason why you need to change a body.

Carry speed and Black rapids are good. Very convenient.

Have fun with your new investment.

Nathan Lanni

Go to the camera store and ask for a battery grip for testing. I am sure you will feel much better. I recommend getting the original Nikon grip because the build is far superior and more comfortable in my opinion. More expensive but definitely worth the money.

Unless you really are still uncomfortable even with the grip attached. I don't see any reason why you need to change a body.

Carry speed and Black rapids are good. Very convenient.

Have fun with your new investment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PapaST

I'd suggest battery grip too. Or what about one of those hand straps? It attaches to the camera so you can slide your hand through (goes right over the knuckles). That might not be the solution but could be helpful.

Patrick M

I'd also suggest the battery grip. I have small/medium hands, and I also find the D7100 a tad small. I find when shooting, my little finger on the right hand is often curled index the camera. It's just getting used to it.

Horoscope Fish

Well... Have you considered lopping off a couple fingers?

I mean, I hate to sound like I'm pointing (ha!) out the obvious but do you really need ten? I mean, come on... If you look hard you'll probably see there's some overlap, some... duplication of effort, if you will, that could just as easily be eliminated.

AC016

6' 4", 260 pounds and I have owned a D7100. Was talking to a guy once, who was no midget himself, and he just sat there staring at my hands and remarked how big they were. Anyhow, I had no problems with the D7100. I would suggest a battery grip. Spending thousands of dollars more on another camera just so you get a slightly bigger grip is just insane. Get your Visa out and buy the Nikon grip and be done with it.

Carolina Photo Guy

I mean, I hate to sound like I'm pointing (ha!) out the obvious but do you really need ten? I mean, come on... If you look hard you'll probably see there's some overlap, some... duplication of effort, if you will, that could just as easily be eliminated.

We have GOT to be related!
​ROFLMFAO! :welcoming:

Nathan Lanni

I knew I could count on you Fish to come up with a solution that never crossed my mind!

Actually that one of the best Ive heard in years.

Thanks for the good chuckle.

Last edited:

Nathan Lanni

6' 4", 260 pounds and I have owned a D7100. Was talking to a guy once, who was no midget himself, and he just sat there staring at my hands and remarked how big they were. Anyhow, I had no problems with the D7100. I would suggest a battery grip. Spending thousands of dollars more on another camera just so you get a slightly bigger grip is just insane. Get your Visa out and buy the Nikon grip and be done with it.

I think part of it is I'm a bit panic'd about the possibility of dropping it again, but the issue then was that darn Nikon strap. I knew better but didn't listen to my gut instinct telling me not to use it.

I'm looking at the Nikon grip because it seems to be the best (functionality and construction), and maybe get a Carry Speed or Black Rapids side sling strap for walking insurance. That system seems to be very workable plus I already have an extra battery for the grip.

Thanks again.