Tripod recommendation?

Joseph Bautsch

There are a lot of tripods for less than $100. However I've not seen a good one in that range. The old saying applies "you get what you pay for". There are several decent ones in the $100 to $150 range. Manfroto and Tiltall are two makers that come to mind. There are probably a couple of others.

Browncoat

I use the Induro A114.

Got mine from a local shop for a bit more, but Amazon has it for $99.95. I was in the same boat as you, and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a tripod. But Mr. Bautsch is right...there simply isn't one worth a darn unless you're willing to spend $100 or more. There's nothing "budget" about this tripod, either. It has the bells and whistles you usually only find on more expensive models, and it's rock solid...even when used outside.

Mine is paired with a Manfrotto 322RC2 ballhead. For a total investment of under $250, this is a great combo.

Carolina Photo Guy

I got one that I'll give to ya.
Of course, if it was any good at all, I would be keeping it.
Ya know something? When it comes to tripods, Vivitar sucks.
Kinda like a three legged dog. Just runs in ever tightening circles.

I'll hush up now.

Pete

Ruidoso Bill

I finally got a good one, bought several junk ones along the way that are good for hold a strobe but not a camera.

I got a Bogen Manfrotto 3021 and a 329 head (with quick release plate) off ebay for $92.00. Took me a while to get one but it is a great and solid tripod. Also I needed one that would go tall since I'm 6'3". Very happy with this tripod.

Last edited:

fotojack

I second what Curt said. Go to the Linkdelight site. Lots of good ones there for less than $100. Let us know what you find. :)

Browncoat

I know there are some Link Delight fans on this site, but I've read many mixed reviews about them. Proceed with caution.

A) They're a Hong Kong distributor. For those of us in the US, there's really very little reason to order from them at all, considering the options we have. Most Link Delight customers are from Canada, Europe, and other countries.

B) Regardless of what you order, be prepared for long ship times, and pray that what you get is in working condition. While Link Delight has low prices, their customer service is lousy. If you have to return something, be prepared for the runaround. Shipping + China = bad.

This is not an opinion post, do your homework...there are plenty of reviews online that largely say the same thing. I doubt I would ever order anything from them.

johnwartjr

I've got 2 Manfrotto / Bogen tripods I use.

I have a 3011 with 3029 head and a 3221 with a 3047 head.

I use the 3221 the most, started with the 3011 and 'upgraded'. Both of mine are probably 20 years old at this point if not more - but they still work fine and it appears parts are still available.

The 3011 would be stretching it with my 70-200 I think. I wouldn't worry about the lens on the 3221 though!

Ruidoso Bill

I've got 2 Manfrotto / Bogen tripods I use.

I have a 3011 with 3029 head and a 3221 with a 3047 head.

I use the 3221 the most, started with the 3011 and 'upgraded'. Both of mine are probably 20 years old at this point if not more - but they still work fine and it appears parts are still available.

The 3011 would be stretching it with my 70-200 I think. I wouldn't worry about the lens on the 3221 though!

I have had mine for 6 months or so, I was so discouraged with the cheaper tripods, I really wouldn't want to take mine on a hike but I wouldn't be afraid to put anything I own on mine. I only have one quick release plate and would like a second one for my 2nd body but it is a discontinued plate. I haven't looked to hard for one yet but I do really like the tripod and head combo.

johnwartjr

I have had mine for 6 months or so, I was so discouraged with the cheaper tripods, I really wouldn't want to take mine on a hike but I wouldn't be afraid to put anything I own on mine. I only have one quick release plate and would like a second one for my 2nd body but it is a discontinued plate. I haven't looked to hard for one yet but I do really like the tripod and head combo.

Discontinued doesn't mean impossible to find, luckily. Lots of knock-offs, and even some genuine parts still out there.

I am going to guess it uses the 3271 plate?

410PL Manfrotto Rapid Connect Mounting Plate (1/4"-20) for 394, 3270, 3275, 410 and 3436RC4 (Spare) (#3271)

Most 'good' Bogen and Manfrotto tripods tend to have pretty decent parts supplies in the aftermarket and possibly even in OEM - I've seen some mighty nice used tripods for $100 or less on eBay, but you have to shop smart like always - don't get too tied up on any one tripod. If the price gets too expensive for your tastes, wait for the next one! You have to be really careful with eBay because stuff often ends up selling for more than retail because people get in bidding wars.

I would, however, like a good Manfrotto monopod :)

Ruidoso Bill

Unfortunately my tripod is in my office, I'll check it out tomorrow. I've never looked into the monopods.

I added my tripod up and the legs with the head ran close to $500, I paid 92.00 and did what you said, I must have bid on 20 of them before I won it. It darn near looked new.

Ruidoso Bill

The plate I need is a Bogen 3411 Quick release plate, only one other head used it. So if anyone happens to stumble accross one I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.