d7100 105 micro now with flash

nikonos

i started to read about flashes and now i see 3 good flashes first one is the sb400 but no wireless option 2nd its the yongnuo 568ex that have high speed sync and also the sb910 and my question is who will be the best flash for macro at portrait
what do you think?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The Nikon SB 910 obviously has the more power. You can also consider the Nikon Sb 700 which is slightly step down of the 910.

emm2600

​I'm getting more and more into macro photography and am considering a Nikon R1C1/R1 kit myself. I wouldn't worry too much about wireless aspect as there are plenty of options for slave triggering.

evan447

have a look at the metz mecablitz 15ms1. a self contained wireless dual flash for macro. well worth its reasonable cost, is a very good performer and easy to set up too. at one point i wouldnt leave the house without it.

nikonos

i know this flash i seen it before but im looking for a flash that i can move him by my self with wireless connect so i can play with the lighting like make a fly half light half black using flash and lowkey

evan447

regarding the sb700; yes, it is a very good unit with wireless capability (cls). it can tilt slightly downwards for on camera macro work as long as your lens does not get in the way.
for off camera studio work you could pair it up with a reflector.
on the other hand you could look for a pair of sb 600 units for studio work.
the nikon r1 can be used with the d7100 wirelessly without the need or extra expense and bulk of the c1 controller as the d7100 has cls,,,,,, the r1 is rather bulky when fitted to the camera lens but the flash units can be detached (and further units added) for studio work. it a shame it uses oddball batteries though.

Geoffc

I have the R1C1 kit, which provides wireless and high speed sync. I think think provides a better 3D light source than a 700/900 single flash. The "Buzzy" shots in this set are with the R1C1 gear Close up - a set on Flickr . These are just me strolling around the garden firing at will using TTL mode. The R1C1 is expensive but good if you're keen on macro. If you have no other off camera flash I'd probably go SB700/900 as it can be used for other things as well.

evan447

as far as i know, the r1 flash system consists of a pair of sb-r200 flash units, a mounting ring,sg 31r screen for the built in flash and a lens adapter.
you would have to do a simple google search and find the nikon websites product page for more info.
(the website says it works with the d70/d300/d200 but the info is out of date. it also says it is compatible with nikon cls, so it will work with the d7000/d7100 etc).

Last edited:

Geoffc

so i can buy only the r1 flash unit ? and how do i connect it to the camera ?

I think Evan has answered the question. I bought my kit in bits with some used parts and ended up with four sb-r200 flash heads. I even managed to get a new case off ebay so it looks like the real kit.

I don't use the su800 just cls from the built in flash.

Steve B

The R1C1 kit is a great addition if you are going to do much macro work. You can add SB-R200 flashes to it as needed to give you a lot of flexibility. And while the SU-800 flash controller isn't required with the D7100 I use it instead of the built in flash to control the flashes for a couple of reasons. I also use the SU-800 to control an off camera SB-910 when I am doing portrait work outside since it gives me more flexibility with where I can position the flash.