Hollywood Browncoat

Browncoat

I'm gonna be in the movies. Well, not me...but some of my photos.

I was contacted by a production company who will use a few of my images for an upcoming movie. The images will be shown as part of a news report scene. The non-disclosure agreement prohibits me from naming the movie at this time, but when it comes out, I'll try to remember to re-post to this thread so you can look for them!

Now you can all say you knew me before I was famous. I'll try not to forget all the little people when I'm rubbing elbows on the red carpet.

:cool:

Browncoat

Will they use the color or BW?

They wanted both versions of that particular photo. I assume the color version, since it's being portrayed as part of a news report. Like when a reporter comes on the television and the infographic pops up that says BREAKING NEWS and they show a photo...that's how this one is being used.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Congratulations! :)

So how did they come across your photos? Were they posted online somewhere, or do you know people in the business? It's interesting to hear they actually use photos taken by others rather than to hire someone to take something specific for the movie.

Browncoat

So how did they come across your photos? Were they posted online somewhere, or do you know people in the business?

This particular image was found doing a Google image search for "Prom Promise". A couple years ago, I was regularly using Flickr, and it was a featured image there. I don't really use Flickr anymore, though.

Browncoat

Glad to hear they're not just taking pics without permission like sci-fi. hah!

There was recently an image on the front page of USA Today featuring a photo from someone I know. The copyright was cropped out, and the photographer was never even contacted. She's not too happy about it, but she isn't going to take legal action.

This is a difficult call if you ever find yourself in that situation. I've been contacted a few different times by book publishers who want to use my work. They always play the "photo credit" card, or "we'll send you a few copies of the book". You can't let yourself get caught up in that. If they don't want to pay for your stuff, don't let them use it.

I've read tons of books in my life. Never liked one so much that I felt the need to own multiple copies of it.