DSC 0047.jpg

EXIF
Camera: Nikon D5100
Exposure: 1/500 @ f/5.6
Focal length: 200mm
ISO: 360
Lens: Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR DX AF-S ED
Original dimensions: 4928x3264

This is a photo I took with my new lens while me and my dad were out walking in Spruce Grove. We were trying to get as close as possible to try and get some god photo's. I used the auto w/out flash setting as I'm still not comfortable using the manual settings yet. Do you think the subject is visually interesting and clear? What could I do to make it better?

The center of interest is not clear. The thing that really takes away is the the horizon cuts right across the middle. I am not sure which way you should have gone the grasses are nice but the reflection is also nice. I think I would have kept the reflection and cut some of the grass. The duck are just sort of lost.

ohkphoto

Snow White
View attachment 51081

EXIF
Camera: Nikon D5100
Exposure: 1/500 @ f/5.6
Focal length: 200mm
ISO: 360
Lens: Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR DX AF-S ED
Original dimensions: 4928x3264

Do you think the subject is visually interesting and clear? What could I do to make it better?

As it is the photo has very little impact . . . the grass and water reflection are pretty, but that's it. I would suggest you wait until the ducks are doing something interesting (like flapping their wings). If you had captured some activity it would have made the image more interesting.

Your color balance and lighting are good, as is the detail in the grass.

Also, try not to have your subject smack in the center. it seems like you tried to get too much in the photo without a really clear center of interest . . . ducks? grass? reflection?

Good job and keep shooting !

Sambr

Totally agree with Don & Helene. My 2 cents if possible try to get closer especially if a bird or animal is the focus. The more you can fill the frame the more detail you will have.