Just...wow

Browncoat

I'm not going to do the site justice by linking to it. Check out:

www picsbid dotcom

It's a race to the bottom, kids. Let's have photographers fight each other in a bidding war to see who can be first in line at the unemployment office. These guys even have the stones to charge photographers an annual fee for this "service".

​If any of you sign up for this, I'm sending Jack over to your house to smack the stupid right out of you.

Last edited:
I'm not going to do the site justice by linking to it. Check out:
www picbids dotcom

It's a race to the bottom, kids. Let's have photographers fight each other in a bidding war to see who can be first in line at the unemployment office. These guys even have the stones to charge photographers an annual fee for this "service".

​If any of you sign up for this, I'm sending Jack over to your house to smack the stupid right out of you.

I tried to go to the site but it just timed out and never got to the site.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well, I can see the photographers and businesses just beating down their door . . . a total of 6 auctions and all of them samples. You're right. He's an idiot.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I don't even take this site seriously. If it was on the same level as those logo contest sites then I'd be more worried. Although, the concept is a little troubling.

Looks like there is 1 real auction. Halloween / Christmas pictures for a family in Frisco. What is interesting is there is one bid at least but it says Reserve not met. I am wondering if the customer can set the maximum they would pay? If it does not get down to that point then no contract. Sort of the reverse of a sales auction?

Browncoat

Although, the concept is a little troubling.

Been digging for the original article I read (it's been awhile ago). But...

eBay was experimenting with something awhile back. Basically a reverse auction where someone can put up a listing for a service (plumbing, yard work, photography, etc) and bidders bid DOWN until a bottom dollar amount is reached to provide that service.

If eBay gets in on this, it could get ugly in a hurry.

riverside

Been digging for the original article I read (it's been awhile ago). But...

eBay was experimenting with something awhile back. Basically a reverse auction where someone can put up a listing for a service (plumbing, yard work, photography, etc) and bidders bid DOWN until a bottom dollar amount is reached to provide that service.

If eBay gets in on this, it could get ugly in a hurry.

The Craigslist in my area has photographers who offer "mini sessions" for $50 (one hour) and discounted rates for longer sessions. Samples are excellent. Can't get even a Craigslist plumber for that.

With the US becoming a complete service market constantly shrinking the middle class and disposable income, market supply and demand for photographers follows that trend. Weddings and portraits (to make a decent living without other income source) have long depended on established reputation and social contacts. I do small product photography and that's totally dependent on personal connections. My new business would be non-existent without referrals.

Specialization in areas formerly covered by general photographers is becoming the key to success. As an example, I know one woman who has built a thriving business on photography of pregnant women showcasing the latter stages. Her work is impressive and in demand.

Browncoat

I think you're spot on, specialization is definitely the key. If you're doing the same thing as everyone else, you're forced by default to compete on price. There's only one way to go with that, and it's down...and eventually out. Of business.

Browncoat

Well, that didn't take long.

It would seem that picsbid.com is now defunct. They still have a Facebook page (that hasn't been updated for 6 months), but their website is gone.

Faith in humanity = restored.