What to buy with a d90

francis2

So im slightly new to dslr photography and am wondering what are all the essentials to get with the d90, im thinking of getting a 50 mm f/1.8g lens and i want to shoot a wide variety of things but am really interested in landscape photography and action photography of sports and what not so if anybody could recommend any accessories necessary for this camera and if anyone has a lens suggestion that would be great.

Deezey

Welcome aboard!

The 50mm is a great portrait lens on a D90. But....is a bit too long for landscape. It can do an awesome job with flowers too. I love my 50 1.8D.

Are you looking for a zoom? Or do you want just primes?

An 18-105mm zoom is a great budget option for a zoom. Mine rarely leaves my D90. Good close focus distance. Handles most shooting situations with ease, but it is a bit slow.

It would be easier for us to help you if we knew what gear you already have....and also a rough idea of a budget.....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

emm2600

As said for landscapes you would really want something shorter than 50mm, most action sports you would want significantly longer. Budget is the ultimate deciding factor - you could look at the 18-55mm + 55-200mm combo for a few hundred dollars or the 17-55mm + 70-200mm if you can afford to spend ~10x that.

John P

For landscape I would go 18mm or wider.
For action sports. It really depends on which sports you want to shoot. Different sports require different lens needs.

skene

First few things I can immediately think of is a spare battery... and a camera bag... there is nothing like running out of power when you most need it.
Lenses will really depend on what you are looking to spend. If you are interested in landscape photography, then maybe something like a 12-24 would be to your liking.

The 50mm 1.8G is a nice lens. I have tried it, however I already have a 50mm 1.8D and a 50mm 1.4... if you would be taking indoor photos though I would not advise using that lens, a 35mm 1.8G would probably be better suited for those situations.. That is unless you have a very very large room that you would be taking pictures in.

Enjoy.

Mr. Springer

Hi, I'm new here. I started out with a D3000, then had to get rid of it. I have recently picked up a D90. I was wondering what else I would need or should get to have a well rounded setup. I don't know why but I keep adding the lenses I have, but once I click save changes they go away. Here is what I have:

Lenses:
Nikon 50mm F/1.8 AF
Nikon 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S
Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6

Flash: Nissin DI866 Mark II

Last edited:

emm2600

I'd say that's actually a pretty well rounded combo to begin with, just missing a macro option. What do you enjoy shooting/shoot the most? Answering that combined with your budget would give you an good indication of what you should get next.

Really like taking landscapes? Maybe a wide-angle zoom would be good choice.
Sports/Wildlife? You might want to consider a longer lens like a 300mm prime or 55/70-300mm zoom.
Tiny things - your collection is lacking a dedicated macro lens so that may be the way to go.

If you haven't tried much macro photography and would like to get a feel for it another option is a closeup filter for your 18-55 or 50-200. DX zooms have fairly close focusing already so it's a cheaper way to see if you would enjoy extra magnification.

Whiskeyman

So im slightly new to dslr photography and am wondering what are all the essentials to get with the d90, im thinking of getting a 50 mm f/1.8g lens and i want to shoot a wide variety of things but am really interested in landscape photography and action photography of sports and what not so if anybody could recommend any accessories necessary for this camera and if anyone has a lens suggestion that would be great.

First few things I can immediately think of is a spare battery... and a camera bag... there is nothing like running out of power when you most need it.
Lenses will really depend on what you are looking to spend. If you are interested in landscape photography, then maybe something like a 12-24 would be to your liking.

The 50mm 1.8G is a nice lens. I have tried it, however I already have a 50mm 1.8D and a 50mm 1.4... if you would be taking indoor photos though I would not advise using that lens, a 35mm 1.8G would probably be better suited for those situations.. That is unless you have a very very large room that you would be taking pictures in.

Enjoy.

First of all, what do you already have? An extra battery can be a life-saver, as well as the case. If you need either one, or both, don't skimp on either; a Nikon battery and an high-quality camera bag that is larger than you currently think you need.

WM