Flash help

I new to the idea of flashes. I have watching a lot of u tube videos to learn but I came across a tram I don't understand. What does it mean by ttl - 2 stops and how do I make changes to my d7000 or sb 700?

WayneF

I new to the idea of flashes. I have watching a lot of u tube videos to learn but I came across a tram I don't understand. What does it mean by ttl - 2 stops and how do I make changes to my d7000 or sb 700?

It means use Flash Compensation, and set it it to -2EV, which flashes 2 stops weaker than the TTL metering would have wanted it. Note that this is normally automatic in balanced TTL BL mode (SB-700, SB-400, internal flash), but has to be done for TTL mode for fill flash in bright sun.

D7000 manual page 148
D700 manual page 190

Also see Part 4 Fundamentals below.

Mfrankfort

TTL is the camera's attempt at sending out the right amount of light through the flash. Sometimes it's not right, and you can't dial in specific power (per se) in TTL, like in M, so you can use Flash compensation to give it a little more power, or a little less power. Sometimes TTL gives weird results depending on the ambient light available, or the scene.