New to the forums,,,,

tjones102

and a very amateur photographer. Just purchased the D3200 and love it so far. I experimented last night on night photography with stars. Some of the articles I have read on the internet is that for star photography use the highest ISO. I experimented and the highest ISO was on the grainy side, I backed it off to 800 and it looked better. Any suggestions/opinions?

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

There are several people here that do star photography. We have a entire section of the forum devoted to night and low light. Try looking through that section Low Light & Night Forum

fotojack

and a very amateur photographer. Just purchased the D3200 and love it so far. I experimented last night on night photography with stars. Some of the articles I have read on the internet is that for star photography use the highest ISO. I experimented and the highest ISO was on the grainy side, I backed it off to 800 and it looked better. Any suggestions/opinions?

When you photograph a scene that includes starry skies, you want a huge depth of field to keep everything in focus, so use a small aperture that has an f/stop of f/16. If you rely on the camera to expose the scene, you don’t see any stars at all. Therefore, shoot this type of picture by using the B (Bulb) mode so that the shutter stays open until you decide to close it, which you do remotely.

The lowest ISO setting on some older cameras and Nikons is ISO 200. But if your camera has a lower setting, use it. A focal-length range of 28mm to 50mm lets you either capture a wide expanse of landscape and stars, or zoom in for a tighter view.

tjones102

Welcome to Nikonites,
Lets see some of them photos you took of the night and stars.

ok, here is one of them. stars_copy.jpg

eidian

That's a really good picture. Seriously, I would've passed it off as Photoshopped if I didn't know the topic of the thread.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

tjones102

I used Photoshop to darken it a tad, but nothing else. I am going to experiment this weekend on different ISO and see what it looks like. I am glad I found this forum, a wealth of knowledge on here.