Nikon FM2

balan

I own a Nikon FM2 purchased in the year 1985. Its shutter speed mechanism behaves totally erratic. If you set at 60 (i.e. 1/60 sec), shutter operates at s 1/4 sec ! At the top speed 4000. it takes 1/8 sec ! At 4, shutter opens OK, but refuses to close! i.e. the shutter mechanism is totally out. How and where can I get it working OK again? :heart-borken: I live in Chennai, India.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You must have enjoyed that camera. Your best chances is to get used items but they might not be available in your area. The average is less than $200 USD on Ebay.

film cameras are dime a dozen here in Japan.

Ginza 023 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Watch72

Hi Balan, it is obvious that the shutter mechanism needs to be fixed. A competent camera technician, with spares, should be able to fix it rather easily. You must find out for yourself are there camera repairers in Chennai. If you wish, you could also bring it to the nearest Nikon authorized dealer and see if they can help you track down one, or send it to their service center for you. Film cameras are rather cheap and easily available nowadays as mentioned by gqtuazon. Maybe you should see if it is better to get another one.

LensWork

Is your FM2 an "N" version? Look at the serial number and if there is an "N" preceding the number than it is an FM2N. The early FM2 (non-N) was plagued with shutter issues.