help with extension tube + lens combination

bechdan

Ive used my D5100 with a 50mm 1.8d lens in manual focus no problem. But when I tried it with an extension tube / ring (looks identical to kenko and is marked 36mm N-AF) which has the 8 pin electrical connections - it says lock to smallest aperture largest number, which it is! but still shows an error?
I tried the ring with my 35mm 1.8G lens and that works fine.
Any thoughts please?

Bill16

My only guess is that it's not making all the connections for some reason on your 50mm that it makes on your 35mm.You posted that it's a 50mm 1.8 d lens, yet you say your 35mm is a 1.8 g lens. It might be something that has to do with it being a d lens instead of a g?
Just some thoughts. :)
Have you tried it in manual mode?

Bill16

I have used a extension tube for my older ai lenses, but was a older tube not set up for auto focus and such. So I don't know what suggest for yours. Sorry. :(

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Ive used my D5100 with a 50mm 1.8d lens in manual focus no problem. But when I tried it with an extension tube / ring (looks identical to kenko and is marked 36mm N-AF) which has the 8 pin electrical connections - it says lock to smallest aperture largest number, which it is! but still shows an error?
I tried the ring with my 35mm 1.8G lens and that works fine.
Any thoughts please?

You are using 3rd party extension tube with electrical connections that is probably not configured to work with D lenses. The connections might be configured for G lenses so that they work with your particular camera model without a camera AF drive.