Road to Red Rock

Knawx

Thoughts, comments, and critiques welcome!

Camera: Nikon D800
Lens: Nikkor 16-35mm @16mm
f/9.0

EpsQe0j.jpg

It is a beautiful photo. Color is great, the scenery can't be beat and the story is there. BUT there is one major flaw. The horizon cut right across the middle. I think I would change the name and focus of the photo and show more of the beautiful blue sky and white clouds.

Knawx

It is a beautiful photo. Color is great, the scenery can't be beat and the story is there. BUT there is one major flaw. The horizon cut right across the middle. I think I would change the name and focus of the photo and show more of the beautiful blue sky and white clouds.

Thank you for your insight! I usually try to avoid dividing my photos with the horizon and general it sits int he lower third of the image, but I really liked this shot with the main focal point being framed up dead center. Mostly to retain as much road and sky as I could. I loved how not only the road, but the cliffs on either side helped draw the eye to the main formation in the middle.

I'm going to dig through the photos from this shoot, because I'm sure I took a few framed up with the horizon on the lower third. If I can find one I'll post it and we can compare :)

Thank you for your insight! I usually try to avoid dividing my photos with the horizon and general it sits int he lower third of the image, but I really liked this shot with the main focal point being framed up dead center. Mostly to retain as much road and sky as I could. I loved how not only the road, but the cliffs on either side helped draw the eye to the main formation in the middle.

I'm going to dig through the photos from this shoot, because I'm sure I took a few framed up with the horizon on the lower third. If I can find one I'll post it and we can compare :)

Rules are always meant to be broken. That is what I like about photography, it is always open to interpretation.

Knawx

Rules are always meant to be broken. That is what I like about photography, it is always open to interpretation.

I couldn't agree more. Although rules can be helpful, and extremely useful in photography, you can really miss out on unique images if you always stick to them no matter what.

Browncoat

I couldn't agree more. Although rules can be helpful, and extremely useful in photography, you can really miss out on unique images if you always stick to them no matter what.

I agree...rules are meant to be broken. Just not here. ;)

This is a textbook Rule of Thirds shot, and should remain textbook. The foreground here is uninteresting, comparatively, to the rest of the composition. This would've made a great "belly shot" where you lay completely prone on the ground to get the shot. Instead, we have the photographer's eye level view, which makes an otherwise stellar composition...well, frankly...ho-hum, because the Rule of Thirds is broken.

It's an awesome photo. The color is excellent, and it's tack sharp. Those of us who live in the flatlands would kill to have some scenery like this. But in order to take things to the next level, you have to be willing to think outside the box and come up with interesting vantage points. A belly shot or extreme low angle would've really set this one apart. The road would've been distorted really wide up close and narrowing towards the horizon, better leading our eyes through the shot. It also would've leveled out the cliffs in the background.

Knawx

I agree...rules are meant to be broken. Just not here. ;)

This is a textbook Rule of Thirds shot, and should remain textbook. The foreground here is uninteresting, comparatively, to the rest of the composition. This would've made a great "belly shot" where you lay completely prone on the ground to get the shot. Instead, we have the photographer's eye level view, which makes an otherwise stellar composition...well, frankly...ho-hum, because the Rule of Thirds is broken.

It's an awesome photo. The color is excellent, and it's tack sharp. Those of us who live in the flatlands would kill to have some scenery like this. But in order to take things to the next level, you have to be willing to think outside the box and come up with interesting vantage points. A belly shot or extreme low angle would've really set this one apart. The road would've been distorted really wide up close and narrowing towards the horizon, better leading our eyes through the shot. It also would've leveled out the cliffs in the background.

I really like the idea of the "belly shot". This shot definitely wasn't taken at eye level though. More like Knee level as the camera was on my tripod at it's lowest stance.

That being said, you're definitely right about getting as low as possible. I really wanted the road to be a point of interest and had I gotten as low as possible it would have definitely made the road much more prominent as you've said.

Luckily I'm going back down to this area in 2 weeks (Zion Utah) where I will attempt this same shot, but this time on my stomach!

bechdan

aye amazing composition and scenery, great colours and I like the positioning of the shot the horizong works for me. A little heavy on the tone mapping (thats what its called in corel anyway) so the clouds are a little odd.
Id give you my seal of approval if I had one.

Vincent

I like colour, but I had the impression I was over doing it. I have the same impression here. I´ll probably like it a little softer on the colour.
​Great shot.

Rick M

I really like the shot, subject and color are very nice. I'm going to agree with the rule of third application here and perhaps you could eliminate the haloing around the clouds?

Knawx

It makes me want to be there and I don't think you can ask more of of a scenic photo than that.

That truly is a compliment. I appreciate you taking time to check it out and give feedback along with all the others who have done the same!