Tokina 12-28mm

kklor

I have been looking and reading and was ready to buy the Tokina 12-24mm lens to cover the wide angle end of my gear. It seemed that the Tokina was gettting better reviews and didn't empty your pockets either. Stalled long enough that I thought Nikon would redo theirs or create a new one. Now Tokina has gone to a redo and made it a 12-28 instead. Read a short review praising the remake enough to justify the price change, etc. Again, this was in DP or something and I would love to hear from real users. Anyone have this new configured lens? Fall is coming and that means birthday and vacation so I am ready to take the plunge.
Thanks- Kathleen :eek:

pedroj

Hi Kathleen..I have the Tokina 12-24mm F4 and found the Cromatic Abberation a bit to much for my likes...

Haven't seen the new 12-28...I bought Nikons 16-35mm F4 and find it does the job I want....

kklor

Thanks Alan!
It is nice to get real feedback that is contingent upon not upsetting the advertisers in a magazine. I might have to see what is in the pro shop in town in the rental line and try out a few? I would love to get into the 12mm range but maybe 16mm would give me that extra I feel I am missing.
Cheers- Kathleen

pedroj

Have a look at Nikons 12-24mm F4...You might pick a second hand one up at a reasonable price...My Son In Law has it...

kklor

I have read/heard mixed reviews on this one and was really hoping that Nikon would remake this one. It seems to be the one that they haven't bothered or focused on. I saved my pro-bodies and lenses from my film decades but because I am shooting DX body instead of full my wonderful wide angle prime is normal focal length on my digital. I like the DX size but am wondering if I should just get a FX body and hence I don't want to overspend on a DX lens for wide angle. I did buy my tele for the FX just in case and it works fine on DX. I have some reservations on buying a used lens as they are not made to the same standards as the lenses that are now called "legendary". I may have to probe that used thought around.

fotojack

I have some reservations on buying a used lens as they are not made to the same standards as the lenses that are now called "legendary".

I don't understand this statement. Not made to the same standards? It's the same "legendary lens"....it's just been previously enjoyed! The previous owner has probably just upgraded to another lens. Nothing about the lens has changed.

kklor

Jack-
What I was referencing with my film lenses which are all metal construction vs. the new lenses which have plastic and focusing motors inside and IMHO are not as balistic as the lenses from film which I save along with my F3 and another body. In the old days, buying a used lens was easier as you could tell if it had been dropped and or just needed to check for glass scratches if barrel looked good. Last night I did find a the Nikon wide tele on consignment at my local pro shop but the price point of it is less than $200.00 in difference compared to a new exact model with a 5 year warranty. At that price point, I would probably go with the NEW lens under warranty for added peace of mind. Just my thoughts on the matter. Kathleen :)