Sepia...not quite B&W

Browncoat

Posting these here because the theme is the same, sepia is just more fitting for these photos. These were taken at a local heritage festival. There's nothing better for street photography than getting people in costume.

You may recognize Abe Lincoln, The Prospector, and Mark Twain:

20110905-HeritageFestival-34.jpg20110905-HeritageFestival-45.jpg20130901-Heritage-Festival-2013-2-2.jpg20130901-Heritage-Festival-2013-9-2.jpg20130901-Heritage-Festival-2013-16.jpg20130901-Heritage-Festival-2013-40.jpg20130901-Heritage-Festival-2013-42.jpg

Posting these here because the theme is the same, sepia is just more fitting for these photos. These were taken at a local heritage festival. There's nothing better for street photography than getting people in costume.

You may recognize Abe Lincoln, The Prospector, and Mark Twain:

View attachment 50559View attachment 50560View attachment 50561View attachment 50562View attachment 50563View attachment 50564View attachment 50565

Great shots. The Abe shot looks like it could be him.

Browncoat

What's really great is those guys are in character as they're walking around. It's a trip.

Mark Twain is saying to me:
"I sure hope that's not a Canon you're pointing at me. That looks big enough to be a Canon."

Me:
"No, this is a Nikon."

Mark Twain:
"Very good, then. Carry on."

Browncoat

Nice shots and very authentic looking!

The most difficult part of the day was cutting out the non-authentic backgrounds and finding people who weren't carrying modern day items.

This event is pretty hardcore. There's an entire area that's cut off from the rest of the event where people can set up real teepees/tents and camp over the long weekend. There are blacksmith shops and all kinds of authentic trading posts, goods and foods. It's pretty cool. But then there's also games, vendors, and the like.

This is only a small sampling of what I captured, but I would've liked to have gotten a lot more. There were a lot of people who had cell phones to their ears and stuff like that. I have a great shot of a little prairie girl in full garb playing a homemade flute that is ruined by modern tennis shoes. Ugh!

There's also a serious lack of Indians at this festival. I've missed them 2 years in a row now. Might go back again tomorrow to see if I can't find some!

JJewell

I'm a fan of sepia too. I've been playing around with a sepia-like action with some family portraits I took this past weekend. What say ye all? You don't get the pop of the fall colors, but I think they still have a lot of punch.
dsc_7386-truebchamp.jpg
dsc_7376-truebchamp.jpg
dsc_7392-truebchamp.jpg