Photographing in caves

FiFreem

Hi All...I'm currently getting to grips with my new D3100 on holiday in Barbados, having lots of fun learning how to use it but tomorrow I'm visiting Harrison Caves on a tour and I'm not sure I will have loads of time to be messing with the settings...I have the standard 18-55 AF-S VR lens and 55-200 AF-S ed lens. I would be grateful if someone could give me a few tips on the settings that might be best.

Thanks
Fi

Fred Kingston

Set your camera for full auto... take a pic... and examine the image for what the camera did... switch to Manual and use the settings from the Auto pic... then make adjustments from there...

Set your camera for full auto... take a pic... and examine the image for what the camera did... switch to Manual and use the settings from the Auto pic... then make adjustments from there...

The problem with that is that everywhere you turn it is going to be very different exposure. I have shot three caves so far and they are very different. I think the next time I go I am going to shoot it with my SB-700 first with the diffuser and bounce and then straight with diffuser then if it is still not enough the diffuser comes off. I want the ISO to be 800 or lower. WE will see.

WayneF

A cave will surely be dim, and assuming no tripod will be possible, then better plan on high ISO. The VR lens will be a plus, to aid too-slow shutter speeds.

Fred Kingston

Don, you're right... I'm guessing...based on the one cave I've been in... the lighting changes quite a bit... as does the white balance... <-- cave operators tend to think colored lights are glamourous... :eek:

Don, you're right... I'm guessing...based on the one cave I've been in... the lighting changes quite a bit... as does the white balance... <-- cave operators tend to think colored lights are glamourous... :eek:

The colored lights can look pretty good in caves. many tend to be all brown. The last cave I went it I have to shoot at 12,800 much of the time and still not quite enough
d5100_05344.jpg

steptoe

I took some shots in a cave system a few miles from me, very little time to use a tripod as they have tours all day and its pretty much non-stop as its very tight in paces with barely room for one person to pass. So, if you stop to take pictures the guide tends to get a bit upset as it hold sup other tours later on as they need to wait for your tour to pass .... as I found out a couple of times of the guide suggesting I hurry up if I want to take pictures

Cave system is called White Scar caves near Kendal in the Lake District UK. If the rain is too heavy apparently the entire lower cave system floods and you can see the water marks half-way up the wall and tours are not allowed, and water flows out the entrance. So its still a very active cave system in the lower sections with water running through it, they even had Cornish tin miners hack it out over the years and has sections that are still being explored and out of bounds for non cavers

The Longest Show Cave in England and the UK | White Scar Cave

I used 400/800 ISO with a flash and set to P mode with very little time, but still managed to get a few average shots

Last edited:
The last cave I toured was very interesting. It is the one pictured above. The path was designed for handicapped access and is about 8 feet wide and good handrails on either side. But what was more interesting was at the end the guide said you can take your time going out and take all the pictures you want. He stayed behind and walked out with the last person. Even going in the took his time and answered any and all questions we had.

FiFreem

Well....the caves were amazing, stalagmite and stalactites unfortunatly we were given very little time for photography and when there was an oppurtuntity everyone else was in the way! anyways the pics look average on the camera ...hopefully when home on the pc they will look good enough to show you all :)