Colored lines.. Sensor problem?

Jimmy Silva

Sorry if this has been posted, I'm in Japan and only have my phone/didn't see it in search results. My camera just started to do this:

Nikon d3000 problem | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I tried a different memory card and taking a picture without the lens on and it still had this problem. It is a 4 year old D3000. Is this normal/repairable, and if so, how much? The lines aren't always consistent (colors change, and sometimes you can see part of the image). I haven't dropped it or broken in it any way.

Thanks so much.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It is probably repairable but to know the cost you'd have to ask a repair shop or Nikon.

From what I've read from others with problems like this there is no way to know the price of a repair before it's done. You could send it to Nikon and they would charge you for an estimate before they do the work.

But, maybe if you can afford it, it could be cheaper to get a new one. Please keep in mind that I said "maybe".

Now, in the meantime, when you take a photo, does it register on the card? Take the card out and try a card reader to see if it is only the camera's display that is broken. This would mean that you could keep taking pictures but would loose the "chimping" and review feature of digital until it's repaired.

​Good luck.