Tokina 16-50 f2.8 ATX Pro Hazy glow images 2.8

nepalien

I am getting Hazy glow over with anything over 5.6 on the Tokina 16-50 f2.8. I have a Nikon 35mm f1.8 which seem to work fine but any other lens seems to have a haze on the image. I also tried Canon FD 50mm f1.4 with the adapter and same results at 1.4 also Sigma 135mm f2.8 with the FD to nikon adapter. Are these lenses just unusable with this camera? I have seen results of other people using old lenses with these camera with fantastic results but I dont know why mine is not working out. Not sure if it is a camera issue or the lens.

Last edited:

nepalien

Sorry that was a Tokina 16-50 f2.8 AT-X 165 Pro DX

Here are some images
Canon 50mm FD with Fotodiox adappter @1.4.jpgCanon 50mm FD with Fotodiox adappter @2.8.jpgCanon 50mm FD with Fotodiox adappter @5.6.jpgCanon 50mm FD with Fotodiox adappter @11.jpgCanon 50mm FD with Fotodiox adappter @16.jpg

Tokina 16-50 @f2.8.jpgTokina 16-50 @f4.jpgTokina 16-50 @f5.6.jpgTokina 16-50 @f8.jpgTokina 16-50 @f11.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The only way to find out what is happening would be to take the same picture with the camera the lens was designed for (in this case a canon I suspect) and then take the picture with the adapter with a Nikon. I suspect that there is glass in this adapter and that it is flaring at large apertures.

Were these Canon mount lenses that you are trying to use on a Nikon body?

nepalien

The Tokina Lens is a Nikon lens for DX camera. The Canon is a manual FD lens handed down to me. The weird thing that got me scratching my head is that the image in the optical viewfinder looks perfictly normal and sharp. The images on the sensor LiveView and captured image are hazy. Also my nikon 35mm f1.8 works perfectly fine. I will try them on a friends D800 tomorrow and see what happens.