Using FX lenes

omegabri

Hi....

While I'm working through my upgrade I'll be using the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses on my D90 (which of course is DX). Has anyone ever encountered any funnies doing this?

Is the quality going to be better than my DX lenes !?!?

Cheers guys

Bri..

Joseph Bautsch

A FX lens will work just fine on a DX camera body. The only difference is that a FX lens focused image is about 1.5 times larger than the DX sensor format. Other than that the picture quality is the same.

Last edited:

omegabri

thanks.....I was just concerned that the quality would be OK. I presume it would be better by the fact that the lenses cost so much !! - hopefully...ha

Ranie

Hi....

While I'm working through my upgrade I'll be using the Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses on my D90 (which of course is DX). Has anyone ever encountered any funnies doing this?

Is the quality going to be better than my DX lenes !?!?

Cheers guys

Bri..

Hi Bri. I have the same set-up as you before when I let go of my D700. I was left with my D90, 24-70 and 70-200. The only thing I lost was my wide end which I dont like. So I sold my 24-70 and got its DX equivalent which is the 17-55 F2.8. I retained the 70-200. Did not notice any difference in picture quality from the 24-70. Hope this helps you.

omegabri

Thanks Ranie !! Great comfort to know someone else has OK'd it, before I start splashing out on new glass !!

Cheers...
Bri..

johnwartjr

I use both those lenses on my D90 and my D700, work great and the quality is superb.

The thing to keep in mind with a FX lens on a DX body - you multiply the focal length by 1.5s as the angle of view is different. So, that 70-200 is going to look like a 105-300 would look on film.

Great lenses... you will love them!

Ranie

Oh...how come you ditched the D700???

Bri..

Hi Bri. I was unfortunate to have a defective unit at that time. 1 of only 3 in Asia that was reported to the Singapore Service Center of Nikon. It has something to do with the power board module. The battery keeps draining even if the power is turned off. I was expecting that Nikon would replace the whole body because it was still under warranty ( 4 months old, under 2000 clicks) but unfortunately, they just replaced the entire circuit board (power). Im not comfortable using it anymore so I sold it.