Head count

Browncoat

Just curious...how many working pros or semi-pros do we have on these boards? Let me clarify my definition of "pros" or "semi-pros". Must meet at least one of the following:

1) At least 25% of your annual income derived from photography
2) Have a business name (sole proprietorship, LLC, etc)
3) Have a business bank account
4) A brick-and-mortar studio, or at least a modest setup in your house

AC016

I'm a professional amateur, so i'm out. I will make a guess though. I would say that there is no more than 8 people who frequent this site that fit all the criteria points.

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

Just curious...how many working pros or semi-pros do we have on these boards? Let me clarify my definition of "pros" or "semi-pros". Must meet at least one of the following:

2) Have a business name (sole proprietorship, LLC, etc)
3) Have a business bank account
4) A brick-and-mortar studio, or at least a modest setup in your house

You may want to clarify your definition of "STUDIO".

I have a studio.

Just-Clayton

1) Just started getting my feet wet. Small income for now

2) yes

3) yes

4) no indoor studio yet. Doing most shoots on site

Right now I'm at a happy medium with what I'm doing selling my matted prints of the area and a few weddings here and there. I can't give up my day job yet.

Rick M

I qualify under #2 and #3. My studio is all portable. As far as #1, will never happen, by choice. I'm in this for:

-Fun
-Tax write off
-Making a few bucks doing something I love

​I actually love my day job and it pays much more than I could ever make as a photographer.

fotojack

No.'s 1, 2, and 4. Even though I make a little money at this, I do it mostly for the fun and enjoyment. At my age, I don't plan on killing myself for anything or anyone! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I meet everything except for this. I don't think my photography income will come close to 25% of my annual income. Is 25% the actual definition of a semi-pro photographer?

So I guess with your definition, I will stay in the amateur category. ;)

Last edited:

Browncoat

Guys...I said 1 of the 4. :p

This isn't an attempt to determine who's pro and who isn't. Was just trying to avoid things like, "I took photos of my sister's cat once and she paid me a 6-pack of beer, does that make me a pro?"

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Guys...I said 1 of the 4. :p

This isn't an attempt to determine who's pro and who isn't. Was just trying to avoid things like, "I took photos of my sister's cat once and she paid me a 6-pack of beer, does that make me a pro?"

Ooops! Sorry. My English is not so good. I've misunderstood your statement.

wud

Just started! VERY happy and excited about it (and falling apart with nervousness lol).

This month I can say yes to number 1, but since I'm new, annual isn't anything I can look at yet. There have been a lot of start up costs. Have no idea how next month will turn out. My primary photography is of dogs and this is a very small genre, so customers aren't falling from the trees. Secondary, I really like shooting family pictures (mostly because it includes kids).
So for now, I'll keep my halftime job, maybe someday I could get fewer hours and photograph more, would really love that.

I have talked to my accountant (he is amazing! so helpful) and he said, it would be fine doing this business under my social security number for now, if it keeps growing, then open a firm.

Am just about to write my bank if they could open another account for me, so I can transfer tax money every time I get paid, just to be sure not to have to pay a lot all in once out of my pocket.

Studio I don't have yet. I cant really see how to make it at home, but have been looking at renting some space in a pro studio, but for now, I'm not doing it. I shoot outdoors. But I would love a studio someday and I know how I would like it already.

My biggest problem is setting the prices, if people write to me they don't have so much money, I reply with way to cheap offers, sigh ;)
But other than that, people are SO supporting to what I do, they share my offers and advertise (for free) for me, I feel very lucky.

Browncoat

It's tough trying to make this a full-time living. I tried for almost 3 years. There were months when I really thought I had turned a corner and would be able to make it, and months where we were flat broke. I definitely wasn't pulling in enough profit to acquire more gear to expand the business. So, I'm back to part-time...for now. The 9-5 grind isn't too bad. It's difficult working for someone else after being on my own. There are times when I just want to pull my hair out (LOL) and scream, "Why are you doing things this way?"

At least now there's money to do things. I've re-branded and have new packaging on the way, and new business cards. My website received a long overdue upgrade. I'm focusing on having fun again. None of that would be possible without the 9-5. As I sit here this morning at my desk, looking out the window wishing I could be shooting or doing something that I want to do, I have to humble myself and remember what put me here in the first place: my own stubbornness and reluctance to adapt to what the market wanted.

Being here has re-motivated and invigorated me. I'm gearing up for a big 2014, and making it my biggest yet.

Pretzel

I've got the name (#2), and after 1 more class that will teach (and allow me to practice a lot) on lighting and portraits, I'll add the account (#3) and start offering roving shoots on the side.

I'd *LOVE* for it to equal 25% of my primary income, but I'm not counting on it, and I already have a pretty good FT career. If nothing else, it might lead to a few tax write-offs and a bit of extra cash flow for upgrades. :cool:

Last edited:

wud

It's tough trying to make this a full-time living. I tried for almost 3 years. There were months when I really thought I had turned a corner and would be able to make it, and months where we were flat broke. I definitely wasn't pulling in enough profit to acquire more gear to expand the business. So, I'm back to part-time...for now. The 9-5 grind isn't too bad. It's difficult working for someone else after being on my own. There are times when I just want to pull my hair out (LOL) and scream, "Why are you doing things this way?"

At least now there's money to do things. I've re-branded and have new packaging on the way, and new business cards. My website received a long overdue upgrade. I'm focusing on having fun again. None of that would be possible without the 9-5. As I sit here this morning at my desk, looking out the window wishing I could be shooting or doing something that I want to do, I have to humble myself and remember what put me here in the first place: my own stubbornness and reluctance to adapt to what the market wanted.

Being here has re-motivated and invigorated me. I'm gearing up for a big 2014, and making it my biggest yet.

What do you photograph? Sounds like a good "break" with your part time job, since you got so much done :) Hoping the best for you in a big 2014.

Defiantly not an easy living, photographing. You really have to put yourself out there, to be noticed and keep busy. Not sure if I want to do it full time, but I need to find another part time job as this I have now are just eating me up, so hoping one day to find an apprenticeship, which could open for other genres of photography for me.

I was so lucky to talk to a very talented photographer, she explained me that she does a lot of cooperative shots to pay the bills, and then she works on her documentary photographing besides that.

At the time I am wondering a lot about what gives me jobs, and it seems me advertising that I am looking for something specific - which they still pay for - are what people want. So weird :)

Browncoat

The bulk of my business is portrait/lifestyle photography: high school seniors, couples, etc. I do a few weddings here and there (I hate weddings). I sell some fine art prints from time to time. The occasional commercial project comes my way, but nothing high end. Used to do MMA photography, but after I kept getting lowballed and getting the run around from promoters, I gave that up too.

I had a few calls to do assisting work for big name photographers who are in the area doing projects, and that pays really well...not to mention is a valuable learning experience.

wud

The bulk of my business is portrait/lifestyle photography: high school seniors, couples, etc. I do a few weddings here and there (I hate weddings). I sell some fine art prints from time to time. The occasional commercial project comes my way, but nothing high end. Used to do MMA photography, but after I kept getting lowballed and getting the run around from promoters, I gave that up too.

I had a few calls to do assisting work for big name photographers who are in the area doing projects, and that pays really well...not to mention is a valuable learning experience.

Why do you hate weddings?!
Have you posted some of you couple photography anywhere? Would love to see (I saw the ones with your parents :))

I've been wanting to try photographing one, and finally my friend are getting married, so tomorrow I am going to do some pictures for him and his wife to be :) But, suddenly 2 mails popped in, if I could photograph 2 other (small) weddings in the next few weeks - wow!?? Yes. ARGH!

I love all this loving. And the newly weed portraits, ooooh I look forward to this!

But also seems my dog photography are something people actually like, they seem very interested in booking it. I got 6 or 7 more shootings this month (including weddings and kids), besides my other job, so I am pretty busy at the time! Seems what I was dreaming about, are kind of happening.

Browncoat

I'm a guy. We dislike weddings by default. :p

I have a few wedding photos on my website, but not many. I don't promote wedding photos because frankly, I don't like doing weddings. They're an 8 hour marathon session, and it's too stressful. The money is nice, but just not worth it in my opinion. Plus, there's the whole looming lawsuit issue to worry about. To hell with that.