Choosing the D5200 >over> D7100 - Lens Help

topgunwghs

Hello all, I live in the beautiful area of Rocky Mountain NP and have not posted here in a while, nor have I been out shooting. I have recently been on a firearm/blade purchase frenzy and have been working most of my time. I was recently recognized for my photography skills, locally, and am able to sell my work in a few places of business. These are exciting times!

Current Setup: Nikon D3100 + 55-300mm AF-S DX VR LensThis setup is now for sale on eBay: Nikon D3100 Nikkor 55 300mm AF S Lens Accessories | eBay

The photographs I was able to achieve with that simplistic entry-level D-SLR were amazing, and amazed many "High-End" Pro users, with the quality I was able to achieve with such a "Low-End" Camera and Kit lens. Like many say, it is the eye that does 90% of the work and the camera finished the last 8% with 2% Post-Processing skills (which I have very little of).I have been searching for an upgrade (based on my skill set and what I need it for) for some time now, I was more than overjoyed to learn about the new D7100, but after much research the D5200 is what I will want and need, especially for the price!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you have learned my quick background I have a question for 2 lens choices. I have enough trust in myself to use a Sigma etc. (non AF-S) for my 300mm + Lens. The use will be to print on Metal 10x20 -to- 20x30"

1) What is a GREAT landscape lens in all lighting conditions under $200 or should I buy the 18-55mm Kit lens? --Would this be GREAT?:
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX

2) What is a GREAT wildlife lens for birding, or mammals in mountainous terrain under $300?--Something BETTER or SIMILAR quality to: AF-S DX VR 55-300mm NIKKOR lens I gave up. I am willing to go complete manual focus with Sigma series etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few photos that I took in my D3100 days.
DSC_0130.jpg
DSC_9792.jpg
DSC_5166.jpg
DSC_2638-small.jpg
DSC_2647x2.jpg

Last edited:

crycocyon

You can get a next to new (ie: used) D7100 for the price of a new D5200. They would be like night and day. If you are shooting nature for large metal prints to be put on people's walls, then you need resolution. Very nice shots by the way. If you are looking for bargain telephotos I would consider used manual focus Nikkors.

Like the 300 f4.5 AI-S:

Nikkor BY Nikon 300mm F4 5 AI Telephoto Made IN Japan Excellent Condition 018208019465 | eBay

If you are set on the D5100, check this package out...

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera 18 55mm VR Tamron AF 70 300mm F 4 5 6 DI LD Lens 0018208254781 | eBay

Bill16

I agree, I would go to the D7100 if I were choosing between the d5200 and the d7100. I think the 70-300mm would be the cheapest lens that gets great shots as a similar lens to the 55-300mm. :D

Last edited:

topgunwghs

I see references to the D5100, which I do not want. This is between the D5200 and the D7100.

From all the reviews I see, users seem to be let down on the "upgrade" in picture quality on the D7100 compared to the D5200. Is there that much of a clarity/sharpness difference when printing out to 30" between he two sensor/MP's?

topgunwghs

So, we all believe the 7100 is leagues over the 5200, even though in image quality tests by a couple sites ranked the 5200's photo to be better or the same as the 7100 that costs 2x as much?

Bill16

I think you should buy whatever model you like best! :) I don't have either model and will be going to the D600 when I upgrade. I just pointed out the model I would get between the two models you mentioned. I wasn't suggesting that you change your mind. The D5200 might be just what your looking for! :)

mauckcg

So, we all believe the 7100 is leagues over the 5200, even though in image quality tests by a couple sites ranked the 5200's photo to be better or the same as the 7100 that costs 2x as much?

The image quality is a little bit better than the D5200. The real gain with a D7100 is the weather sealing, second command dial, better low light capability, built in focus motor so you can use autofocus lens' that don't have a built in focus motor, and autofocus system pulled from the D4 pro camera. There's a few other things I am sure but those are the main points that interest me as an upgrade from my D5200 sometime in the semi distant future.

topgunwghs

With the internal-motor, would it AF other lends brands as well? What are the abbreviations of those types? ie: AF lens for Nikkor

Also, earlier someone stated I could get a used 7100 for the price of a new 5200... Where in the world is that? I have been searching up and down eBay as well as other photo sites.

mauckcg

With the internal-motor, would it AF other lends brands as well? What are the abbreviations of those types? ie: AF lens for Nikkor

Also, earlier someone stated I could get a used 7100 for the price of a new 5200... Where in the world is that? I have been searching up and down eBay as well as other photo sites.
Sigma's internal AFS is called OS, Tamron's is VC.

I have a Sigma 17-70 C with OS and it works great. The internal motor in the D7100 is nice if you have older lenses that need the camera to have a motor for AFS to work.

I've seen a few on craigslist and a few sites for $1000. Nothing less than that or I would have had a hard time not buying it.

topgunwghs

I will stick with the D5200, it has every feature that I would want and need for the next few years.

---------------------------------

Back to the lenses I need.

1) Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Landscape photography, with a wide EV capability for bright sky and dark mountains and low light conditions. :ie Kit Lens: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX

-Or should I get a fixed/prime 12mm, 24mm etc for this use?

2) Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Wildlife Birding Photography, with equal sharpness through the focal range. :ie Kit Lens: Nikon 55-300mm AF-S VR DX

-Or should I get a fixed/Prime lens for this use in 400mm -or- Get a Sigma telephoto out to 300 or 400mm that I must manually focus?

Last edited:

mauckcg

I will stick with the D5200, it has every feature that I would want and need for the next few years.

---------------------------------

Back to the lenses I need.

1) Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Landscape photography, with a wide EV capability for bright sky and dark mountains and low light conditions. :ie Kit Lens: Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX

-Or should I get a fixed/prime 12mm, 24mm etc for this use?

2) Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Wildlife Birding Photography, with equal sharpness through the focal range. :ie Kit Lens: Nikon 55-300mm AF-S VR DX

-Or should I get a fixed/Prime lens for this use in 400mm -or- Get a Sigma telephoto out to 300 or 400mm that I must manually focus?

For a kit lens replacement that is widely handy, I love my Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 Contemporary. I've used it once for a sunset that turned out pretty well for a first atempt. The car and aircraft pictures i have taken with it have been fantastic. Thread of pictures. http://nikonites.com/general-lenses/14880-sigma-17-70-c-quick-thoughts.html#axzz2dCnCztry

Never really done wildlife with my 70-200. There's a section of the forum down a bit from here that does wildlife. That would be a good place to start.

Horoscope Fish

Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Landscape photography, with a wide EV capability for bright sky and dark mountains and low light conditions.
Either the Tokina AT-X PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 or the Tokina AT-X PRO DX 12-24mm f/4 would be good choices.

Something comparable or better than the "Kit Lens" for True-Sharp Wildlife Birding Photography, with equal sharpness through the focal range.
The Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR.

Smoke

I'll throw in my 2 cents but realize I am new to this and don't know what the hell I'm talking about but......I own a D5200 and love it

topgunwghs

If I were to go with the D7100, my choices for lenses would be much broader right and cheaper since they don;t have to have an internal motor in the lens?

What abbreviations for all the lens companies could be powered as if it were an AF Nikkor Lens, by the D7100?

Horoscope Fish

If I were to go with the D7100, my choices for lenses would be much broader right and cheaper since they don;t have to have an internal motor in the lens?
Correct. The D7100 has an internal focus motor so the lens does not need to have one of its own.

What abbreviations for all the lens companies could be powered as if it were an AF Nikkor Lens, by the D7100?
That would be a good deal of research but I'm sure Google would help you figure that out.