What flash mode is your non-Nikon brand iTTL flash?

WayneF

Nikon's current CLS iTTL flash system was introduced ten years ago. Since then, there were endless discussions about TTL vs TTL BL flash modes. We pretty much know what these do now, and it's died down somewhat. In fact, the only Nikon flash still in production that even has a TTL menu is the SB-910. The others (SB-700, SB-400, Internal flash, and Commander) are TTL BL by default (unless Spot Metering, which overrides with TTL mode).

There is really no other way to say it, but very many (maybe most?) camera users never learn the first thing about using their flash. Many exceptions of course, but many only turn it on, aim it forward (direct flash), and then complain about their flash pictures, and avoid using flash all they can. They never learn how it works, what it does, or how to use it. Which is a real shame of course, it is really pretty easy, and it can be so good.

Automatic flash means the dumb computer tries to do it, but we have to watch, and stand ready to help it. And about the first thing we need to know about automatic flash is, what is it trying to do? Is our iTTL flash TTL or TTL BL mode? These are rather different. For the few Nikon flashes, we have learned. But for non-Nikon brand flashes, I'm not aware the subject ever came up about "what mode is my flash?". A tiny few non-Nikon flashes do have a TTL/TTL BL menu, but most don't. But they will do something, and it seems good if we knew what to expect that the flash is going to do?

The Exif data easily tells us what the camera metering is doing (flash mode), and a quick glance at results also tells us what it did.

It seems clear the Yongnuo 565 does TTL mode (where for example, the SB-700 does TTL BL mode). One mode is not better than the other, only different, rather different metering, which certainly affects our use. IMO, the simplest view is that we must help TTL units when in bright ambient, and must help TTL BL units indoors. But frankly, I don't even have a clue about what all the non-Nikon flash brands even do?

For anyone interested, those with a non-Nikon brand iTTL flash (for Nikon) are invited to Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Flash mode, Is your flash TTL or TTL BL?, which is about how to quickly determine your automatic flashes TTL mode, either from Exif, or a simple test (about what the difference is). It is also suggesting when you determine the mode of your flash, that you shoot me a quick email and tell me too. :) I hope to make a list, and the goal is to hear about a wide range of varied brands of iTTL flash for Nikon. Then maybe we can know more about the general case of what our automatic flashes are doing.

Mfrankfort

Mine is... I don't know. Yongnuo 568. It's a good flash, and does what I want. lol. If TTL fails, M works to get what I want. Interesting article though. I think most people just want their subject lit, not the background though. Especially if the background is far away, most flashes can't light it (such as the sky.. trees far away... )

WayneF

Mine is... I don't know. Yongnuo 568. It's a good flash, and does what I want. lol.

But it would be a lot to know, what mode it uses. :) Others would like to know too.

If it is not handy to determine its mode from the Exif, you (and others) are invited to simply email a flash image to me (with Exif in it), and I'll check it. Any quickie image.
See towards the end of the article Flash mode, Is your flash TTL or TTL BL? about those instructions.
It will be appreciated.

WayneF

HELP!
It is very disappointing that there has been near zero response (requesting a sample flash image with non-Nikon TTL flashes). However, so far it is clear that all models are not treated alike, regarding if the Nikon system does TTL mode or TTL BL mode with third party flashes (non-Nikon brand flashes). This sure does seem like good stuff to know about using our flashes. I was hoping to post a nice report about it here, so we would know.

Please see Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Flash mode, Is your flash TTL or TTL BL? about the request for a sample flash image (with Exif) with your non-Nikon brand of iTTL flash. Helping seems real simple. Thanks much.

WhiteLight

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "BL" stand for? Balanced? I'm not aware of this designation.

BL is 'Balance Fill Flash Light'.
If your subject has a lot of Backlight you use TTL-BL instead of just TTL
Balanced Fill flash lighing brings closer the flash light level to the ambient light level. This is only possible when the ambient light level is sufficient for correct exposure without flash.
Otherwise the BL flash mode will revert to iTTL providing correct exposure in the absence of sigificant ambient light level, and there will be no difference between iTTL/BL and the iTTL
AFAIK

mikew_RIP

Just been looking at my sigma ring flash from nearly 10 years ago and it has TTL-BL on it.the casing says iTTL and it has just TTL also.

mike

WayneF

Several Nikon (and Metz for Nikon) flashes have a menu to select TTL BL or TTL flash metering mode.

Nikons manuals (SB-600 page 33, SB-700 page C-2, SB-800 page 37 , SB-900 page D2) say the modes do this:
TTL BL - Automatic Balanced Fill-Flash:
The flash output level is automatically adjusted for a well-balanced exposure of the main subject and background.
TTL - Standard TTL flash:
The main subject is correctly exposed regardless of the background brightness. This is useful when you want to highlight the main subject.

Basically, TTL BL metering mode reduces the flash level when there is bright ambient, to reduce overexposure due to both flash and ambient adding to be 2x desired exposure on the subject (called Balanced fill flash). Whereas, TTL mode ignores ambient (normally insignificant indoors), and the flash comes ahead full on regardless of any ambient.

Some Nikon flash models (SB-700 and SB-400), and the camera internal flash, and the Nikon Commander, have no menu, and are simply always TTL BL mode (balanced flash).

However, we really simply do not know which mode is used with third party flashes (non-Nikon brand), which is the question. The camera does this, but it can depend on the firmware in the flash in those cases. We don't know, but evidence is that some are one way, some the other. That is why I am requesting to receive sample flash pictures from those, with full Exif, so we can know.

More usage description at Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Flash pictures are Double Exposures

Request at Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Flash mode, Is your flash TTL or TTL BL?