Hmmm time to buy a lens! Any suggestions?

mscognamiglio15

Hey everyone, just joined the forum today!

This is my first post so go easy on me! I know I am starting what has probably already been done a while ago...but I know a new lens just came out (18-140) and I am in the market for a good travel lens. I bought a 35mm 1.8 prime...and just love it....but I need something that has a little bit more range that the kit lens (18-55) and has better IQ. I have narrowed it down to the 16-85, 24-85, 18-105, 18-140. Now I want to spend around 500-700 (I know the 16-85 is around 850..but maybe I can buy one used?). The lens is going to be my "grab and go" lens...something that is quick and easy. Will be shooting alot of landscape, cars+motorcycles. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the 18-105 because of the $, I am just worried that it will not be as sharp. I have also heard that after around 85mm on the 18-105 its not that sharp. I would love to know if anyone knows anything about the 18-140...would not mind the extra range!!!

Thanks in advance for any help! :cool:

Horoscope Fish

This is my first post so go easy on me! I know I am starting what has probably already been done a while ago...but I know a new lens just came out (18-140) and I am in the market for a good travel lens. I bought a 35mm 1.8 prime...and just love it....but I need something that has a little bit more range that the kit lens (18-55) and has better IQ. I have narrowed it down to the 16-85, 24-85, 18-105, 18-140. Now I want to spend around 500-700 (I know the 16-85 is around 850..but maybe I can buy one used?). The lens is going to be my "grab and go" lens...something that is quick and easy. Will be shooting alot of landscape, cars+motorcycles. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the 18-105 because of the $, I am just worried that it will not be as sharp. I have also heard that after around 85mm on the 18-105 its not that sharp. I would love to know if anyone knows anything about the 18-140...would not mind the extra range!!!

Of those you've listed I'd be looking hard at either the 18-105mm or the 18-140mm. I have the 18-105mm and assuming the 18-140mm has similar size and weight, I'd love to have one. The 35mm difference isn't enough to get me to swing over, but you're buying fresh. I think the 18-140mm is overpriced in comparison to the 18-105mm, but that's the lens that so rarely comes off my camera these days. And when it does, it's typically for my 35mm f/1.8, which you already have... So yeah. I'd say either the 18-105mm or the 18-140mm depending on how much you want to spend. Either one, I think you'll find, will make for the perfect day-to-day, walk-about lens.

jwstl

2 comments:

1. The 18-140 was announced but hasn't been released yet. And I don't see a release date listed for it on any of the big photo e-tailers' sites. I don't know how soon you want to buy but that could be a consideration.

2. If you decide on the well regarded 16-85 don't buy it wherever you found a price of $850 because that's much higher than you can get it elsewhere. The USA version is $629 at both B&H and Adorama, 2 of the largest, most well-known photo retailers in the US.

brads

Have you looked at the 18-200 from Nikon? I quite like this as a general lens to leave on the 3200. I can fill the backpack with 2 more lenses now that I've replaced the 2 kit lenses with this!! Vary widely in price but cheaper than the 18-300 which I probably would have preferred. But it wasn't released. Anyway, welcome and let's know what you end up with. Cheers, Brad :)

Last edited:

Rick M

If you like to shoot wider than longer, the 16-85 is a great lens. From there I would hold out for some reviews on the 18-140, Nikon's newer lenses are very impressive.

eidian

Seems like there would be some overlap if you go with the lenses that you listed. You have a great start with what you have, how about expanding your range? The 70-300 is a good lens, it starts past your 18-55 and has significant reach.

My camera came with the 18-55 and 55-200 but I now carry a 35mm prime (like yours) and a 55-300 for range. I carry a Sigma 10-20 wide angle to round out the possibilities.

The 35mm is such a versatile lens that I think you should consider going beyond what you have now instead of overlapping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Phillydog1958

If you like to shoot wider than longer, the 16-85 is a great lens. From there I would hold out for some reviews on the 18-140, Nikon's newer lenses are very impressive.

+1, I'm agreeing with Rick, on this one. I might add that you not be in a hurry to spend money on a lens, unless you really know that it's the right one for your needs. Take your time and research it.

marce

Same as Eidian, 35mm prime most of the time, 55-300 for reach and a Tamron 60mm macro. Also have the 50mm f1.8, which I tend to use for posed portrait shots.
I second the comment about thinking before you buy a lens, think what you want to shoot and what lens would cover it best, though the 18-140 will give a wide coverage, but at what price?

mscognamiglio15

Hey everyone thanks for the awesome comments!! I have been really chewing on everyone’s comments. I have narrowed it down to the 18-105 vs 16-85. I know the 16-85 is a better lens all around, but the price tag is what hurts! I was considering used but, after I looked into the warranty on the refurbished lens, I am staying away from them. I will be buying new, and it looks like the 18-105 will work for me. If it does disappoint, then I can always sell it or return it.

My biggest concerns are going to be the IQ in the corners and the "softness".... we will see...... I will not be buying for another week or so...so no rush!

Thanks again everyone!!

Michael J.

For me as a walk-around the 16-85mm is perfect great. In my small hometown the 85 mm are exactly enough range and the 16 mm are great where sneakers zoom can't be used.

For longer range needed I use the 55-300 which is not that often in use cos I do not much wilflife.