Nikon 35mm 1.8 vs Sigma 30mm 1.4 "Art"

cybernick01

Hi, I'm looking for a fixed prime around these focal lengths but I'm a little torn between these two and the Nikon 28mm 1.8.I don't want to spend much more than 400 Eur. Portability is appreciated. I've been reading a LOT and the Sigma seems to be quite the best right now in price/performance. But I'm too afraid of the back/front focus issues. Is it possible to completely fix them? On a side note, from samples I've seen, the 35mm bokeh doesn't impress too much.Also, could it be possible that some people just don't notice the back focus problems of the sigma?I'm trying to figure out if it's something common or just bad luck.
9476054916_6046be9840_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi, I'm looking for a fixed prime around these focal lenghts but I'm a little torned between these two and the Nikon 28mm 1.8.I don't want to spend much more than 400 Eur. Portability is appreciated. I've been reading a LOT and the Sigma seems to be quite the best right now price/performance. But I'm too afraid of the back/front focus issues. Is it possible to completely fix them?

Back/front focus adjustment is possible with some cameras depending on the model. Which camera do you own? I own the Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX and the Nikon 28mm f1.8G lens, they are two different lenses but I like the sharpness and OOF rendition of the 28mm lens. I have not tried the Sigma version.

cybernick01

Back/front focus adjustment is possible with some cameras depending on the model. Which camera do you own? I own the Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX and the Nikon 28mm f1.8G lens, they are two different lenses but I like the sharpness and OOF rendition of the 28mm lens. I have not tried the Sigma version.
I know, but I've read that sometimes that doesn't quite do it because the needed adjustment is not the same at different distance ranges. The USB dock offers 4 distance ranges but even in this case some people have troubles with the last range being too wide: 2m-infinity, they say they need two different tunings for infinity and the after-2m...

Do you have any samples of the bokeh? (portrait photography or anything)

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I know, but I've read that sometimes that doesn't quite do it because the needed adjustment is not the same at different distance ranges. The USB dock offers 4 distance ranges but even in this case some people have troubles with the last range being too wide: 2m-infinite, they say they need two different tunnings for infinite and the after-2m...

You did this using what lens and camera? Your references are all from other people yet you sound certain. Does you camera have Auto fine tune feature?

cybernick01

You did this using what lens and camera? Your references are all from other people yet you sound certain. Does you camera have Auto fine tune feature?
Thanks for the samples.
I currently don't have a camera, I'm planning to get a d5200. And yes, everything I've been saying comes from reading around the web. Do you think these issues might be exagerated?
The thing about the USB Dock is that I don't see why I need to buy yet another sigma product (+50-70 eur) to calibrate something that should work out of the box.

jwstl

The Sigma is a great lens and I could explain to you the benefits of the dock but it's considerably more than your budget (around 800 Eur I believe) so I don't know why you are even considering it. Forget it and move on the something else.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Thanks for the samples.
I currently don't have a camera, I'm planning to get a d5200. And yes, everything I've been saying comes from reading around the web. Do you think these issues might be exagerated?
The thing about the USB Dock is that I don't see why I need to buy yet another sigma product (+50-70 eur) to calibrate something that should work out of the box.

There are multiple adjustment systems... Sigma allows the USB dock to fine tune the lens itself... There are many Nikon cameras that have a Fine Tuning feature built into the camera to make the front/back focus adjustments directly in the camera...

cybernick01

@all
Is this video correct? Sigma Optimization Pro and USB Dock Demo on Vimeo
It only has 4 range adjustments. Have you people used it? Is it enough?
Built-in fine tuning (which I probably won't have on the d5200) is less accurate, it is the same across the whole range, right? (I've never seen it used).

The Sigma is a great lens and I could explain to you the benefits of the dock but it's considerably more than your budget (around 800 Eur I believe) so I don't know why you are even considering it. Forget it and move on the something else.
Maybe you're confusing it with the 35mm 1.4 Art?
The Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art (recently released) is about 450 eur + 50-70 eur the USB Dock.
Have you used it? whith what lenses?

jwstl

@all
Is this video correct? Sigma Optimization Pro and USB Dock Demo on Vimeo
It only has 4 range adjustments. Have you people used it? Is it enough?
Built-in fine tuning (which I probably won't have on the d5200) is less accurate, it is the same across the whole range, right? (I've never seen it used).

Maybe you're confusing it with the 35mm 1.4 Art?
The Sigma 30mm 1.4 Art (recently released) is about 450 eur + 50-70 eur the USB Dock.
Have you used it? whith what lenses?

You are correct. I was thinking of the 35 1.4 for FX cameras, not the 30 1.4 for DX cameras. Before you worry too much about focus issues keep in mind that Sigma isn't the only manufacturer with these issues. Google Nikon or Canon lenses and focus issue and you'll get plenty of results. The point is that not every lens will or can be made to focus exactly right on all camera bodies. That could be because of issues with the body or the lens or both. Some bodies allow you to adjust for front or back focus and some don't. The beauty of the new Sigma lenses and dock is it allows you to adjust focus even if your camera doesn't have the focus fine tuning. Buy a Nikon or Tamron or Tokina to be used on one of those bodies and the focus is off a little and you either return the lens or live with it. I think this feature from Sigma is fantastic. And you can also update firmware via the dock. So if Sigma wants to improve performance for existing lenses they can do so via a firmware release and you can update the lens yourself. The dock is cheap and you only need one for all supported lenses of a particular mount. I love having this control via the dock and because of it I consider Sigma above all other third party lens manufactures.

cybernick01

You are correct. I was thinking of the 35 1.4 for FX cameras, not the 30 1.4 for DX cameras. Before you worry too much about focus issues keep in mind that Sigma isn't the only manufacturer with these issues. Google Nikon or Canon lenses and focus issue and you'll get plenty of results. The point is that not every lens will or can be made to focus exactly right on all camera bodies. That could be because of issues with the body or the lens or both. Some bodies allow you to adjust for front or back focus and some don't. The beauty of the new Sigma lenses and dock is it allows you to adjust focus even if your camera doesn't have the focus fine tuning. Buy a Nikon or Tamron or Tokina to be used on one of those bodies and the focus is off a little and you either return the lens or live with it. I think this feature from Sigma is fantastic. And you can also update firmware via the dock. So if Sigma wants to improve performance for existing lenses they can do so via a firmware release and you can update the lens yourself. The dock is cheap and you only need one for all supported lenses of a particular mount. I love having this control via the dock and because of it I consider Sigma above all other third party lens manufactures.
Ok, thanks. I wanted to see if it was a consistent problem, but I guess it's still too soon to know.
I'll just buy it when I get the camera.

aroy

Please consider the Sigma 35mm 1.4 art. This is a much superior lense compared to the 30mm. As per DXO it is sharper, has less distortion and lower chromatic aberration. The 35mm is ranked the best lens in its class, better than the Zeiss and Nikon.

Last but not the least it is an FX lens, so will stand you in good stead in case (?) you consider migrating to FX.

Another factor to consider is getting the D7100 rather than 5xxx body. The 7100 can use any of the "D" AF lenses, as well as the older Nikon lenses (both AF & MF). So in case you are serious about photography, you can reduce your gross budget by procuring excellent pre owned MF lenses. The 28mm f2.8 AIS lense is one such lens which is 20 years old design still being produced. If you love very shallow DOF then the 50mm f1.2 AIS is another classic Nikon lens.

cybernick01

Please consider the Sigma 35mm 1.4 art. This is a much superior lense compared to the 30mm. As per DXO it is sharper, has less distortion and lower chromatic aberration. The 35mm is ranked the best lens in its class, better than the Zeiss and Nikon.

Last but not the least it is an FX lens, so will stand you in good stead in case (?) you consider migrating to FX.

Another factor to consider is getting the D7100 rather than 5xxx body. The 7100 can use any of the "D" AF lenses, as well as the older Nikon lenses (both AF & MF). So in case you are serious about photography, you can reduce your gross budget by procuring excellent pre owned MF lenses. The 28mm f2.8 AIS lense is one such lens which is 20 years old design still being produced. If you love very shallow DOF then the 50mm f1.2 AIS is another classic Nikon lens.
Yeah, I'm considering the d7000 now. The d7100 is just too much for me.
The problem with the 35mm is it is considerably heavier and more expensive...