Please Help: D5200 Speedlight Suggestions and Advice

Ak96

​Ladies and Gents,

Let me start by saying I'm an amateur newbie. I have no aspirations of doing this professionally. I recently purchased a D5200, an upgrade from the D3200 that I had for just under 90 days. I loved the D3200 and managed to take some great pics of my kids with it and had even invested in YN-468 II while I had it. Which leads me to my current dilemma, I chose to capitalize on a great return policy to make the investment in the D5200, with the reasoning that it was a superior model and that I wouldn't grow out of the camera for years to come. The Yongnuo flash that I used on my 3200 unfortunately does not seem to work as conveniently on the d5200. It was a bargain compared to the nikon speed lights, but I found that I can't get the auto-zoom or auto-focus infrared to operate. Is this problem possibly just a setting that I have overlooked or a compatibility issue?

I have tried to read through the posts before adding one of my own and could not find a definitive answer. Keeping the Yongnuo wouldn't be a total waste, but I just wanted to be sure that my inexperience was not going to lead me towards purchasing a new flash unnecessarily.

Now if I do have to purchase a new flash could you more experienced photographers suggest some affordable alternatives to the SB-910 and SB-700, I've already excluded the SB-800's from what I've heard about them overheating. I'm interested in something with full auto. The price range I'm looking for is 100-300. I've seen the YN-565 and YN-568 mentioned, but will the auto zoom and infra red auto focus assist work on my camera?

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

Is the flash in Manual, or Auto? You want to leave the flash in TTL pretty much all the time, and Make sure the little icon with the flash on the camera is on. If it's in anything else but TTL it won't auto anything.

Ak96

Is the flash in Manual, or Auto? You want to leave the flash in TTL pretty much all the time, and Make sure the little icon with the flash on the camera is on. If it's in anything else but TTL it won't auto anything.

Yes, I do have the flash set to TTL and auto, which was the really surprising thing. Didn't understand why there was no issue on the 3200, but with the 5200 I was having a problem. I switched cameras in the middle of an event too, so just wanted to be sure it wasn't my inexperience that was the major malfunction.

Last edited: