After sunset

wud

With some advice from Dave_W (which he gave me a long time ago), I think I finally got a step closer to landscape photography yesterday :topsy_turvy:

Also photographed the sunset, from a hill, but this one just asked to be edited right away.

Does the compositon work? Feel free to submit edited versions.

1/25 (handheld)
f/4.5
​iso 200

solnedgang_kalvebod_2367_copy_web.jpg

sOnIc

I really like the first image; very moody, great as it is, but would be an awesome setting for an astronomical subject like a comet, aurora, noctilucent cloud, Moon, Venus, pass of the ISS, or whatever. But why does the image fade to grey at the bottom? That colour seams un-natural and a bit wrong to me?

Also amazed to read it's hand-held?! Surely to get a proper sharp image at full res would require a tripod? My thoughts would be to use a tripod; and go up in F-number for more depth; resulting in a slightly longer exposure and thus some motion blur on the surface of the water; but I don't know exactly what the condition were like.

The second image as well is beautiful, looks HDR or like there's some clever processing gone on.
(At full size I can see some missing data in the top-left corner from where you rotated it ; )
But very nice work : )

Last edited:

wud

I really like the first image; very moody, great as it is, but would be an awesome setting for an astronomical subject like a comet, aurora, noctilucent cloud, Moon, Venus, pass of the ISS, or whatever. But why does the image fade to grey at the bottom? That colour seams un-natural and a bit wrong to me?

Also amazed to read it's hand-held?! Surely to get a proper sharp image at full res would require a tripod? My thoughts would be to use a tripod; and go up in F-number for more depth; resulting in a slightly longer exposure and thus some motion blur on the surface of the water; but I don't know exactly what the condition were like.

The second image as well is beautiful, looks HDR or like there's some clever processing gone on.
(At full size I can see some missing data in the top-left corner from where you rotated it ; )
But very nice work : )

First doesnt really needs to be any sharper, I think. And I am really amazed how good my camera works with low shutter times! I almost never bring my tripod. But I agree with the cropping, I gave it some blur/lighting at the bottom, but cropping are so much better.

Yeah, stupid one with the white! I fixed the original image, so I wont forget if I need it another time, lol. Actually I dont remember how I processed the image, but it wasnt HDR - but my intention were to do HDR, but this doesnt work without a tripod. (And maybe the fact, that I was also standing with 2 dogs who didn't want to just stand and look at nothing ;)).