Lens cap?

andergar

I'm new here and getting a new D3200 very soon. I have a silly noob question: what's best for protecting my lens, a clear lens filter or a lens cap? Thanks for any advice.

​Steve

Bill16

A lens cap protects even the filter when not in use. But the filter gives your lens protection when in use. Also a hood helps protect the lens along with helping against glare from the sun. :)
But it's an on going debate between using a filter or not when concerning photo quality. So you will find all sorts of people who lean one way or the other on the use of a filter and what quality level of the filter is best. Lol :)
Please to forgive eidian, but why not just a lens cap, what are the benefits of having both?

kklor

I think you will be happier with both. A good quality uv filter is not expensive and will not effect your optical quality. Shooting in windy/dusty conditions like NM can etch your glass/lens. I would rather lose a filter vs. the cost of a lens.:)

eidian

I have some UV filters for backups, I have polarized filters on all of my lenses. I won't shoot without polarized filters (though I'm still deciding if I want to just go UV with the Sigma wide angle).

And there's no need to apologize for any question.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

I'm a no filter guy, unless it's a polarizer or ND. For protection, I use a lens hood. One exception is if I'm shooting in a sandstorm or some similar environment, I'll pop on a UV, but adding glass degrades the photo. Maybe not by much, but my pics need all the help they can get. ;)

Rick M

I'm a no filter guy, unless it's a polarizer or ND. For protection, I use a lens hood. One exception is if I'm shooting in a sandstorm or some similar environment, I'll pop on a UV, but adding glass degrades the photo. Maybe not by much, but my pics need all the help they can get. ;)

I'm with Jim, lens cap on when not in use and filters for effects only. IF I were in a harsh environment I might consider a filter.

riverside

Same here.

Bill16

Well I think the best way is to leave the camera in your bag with UV filter,lens cap and hood on with the bag securely closed and locked up in a bomb proof safe, then carefully use a remote trigger when taking your shot! That way your sure to prevent unwanted scratches and such! Lol :D