Noise/Grain at high ISO...

AC016

... get over it! I love how Jared is straight forward and tells it how it is. Good video.

[video=youtube;iXn8d3Znb1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iXn8d3Znb1U[/video]

Moab Man

A long while ago, and I wish I could credit where I heard this, I was told do not worry about ISO noise. Look at advertisement and prints all around you. Put your nose up to them and pixel peep... you will see tons of noise everywhere.

So I did this and I could not believe how much noise is all around us in pictures, but no one notices because they are not looking for it as too many of us do early on.

Horoscope Fish

I appreciate Jared's candor, generally speaking but this seems more like manufactured outrage.

And anyone complaining about noise at 6400 ISO needs to be slapped up'side they hayd with the phrase "Exposure Reciprocity" until they succumb to logic.

Last edited:

AC016

A long while ago, and I wish I could credit where I heard this, I was told do not worry about ISO noise. Look at advertisement and prints all around you. Put your nose up to them and pixel peep... you will see tons of noise everywhere.

So I did this and I could not believe how much noise is all around us in pictures, but no one notices because they are not looking for it as too many of us do early on.

yeah, pixel peepers should have their cameras confiscated, lol. I think Jared's point was that people really complain about the most ridiculous things without really thinking first.

Lately I have been pushing my d5100 way past the limits I would normally do. I have been surprised at how well it holds up. I had one tall building shot at night. Hand held at a high ISO. I loved the shot but looking at it on a monitor I can see the noise, but I decided to print it anyway. Printed a 13x19 and held it up at arms length and the noise really was not noticeable. Now if I bring it up to 6 inches from my eyes I can see it, but that is not the way we would ever be looking at it. Think about the final use of a photo and then decide if it is TOO noisy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krs_2007

I wonder how many would even know about or even notice it if it wasn't on the Internet. But most do seem to jump on the bandwagon for almost everything today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder how many would even know about or even notice it if it wasn't on the Internet. But most do seem to jump on the bandwagon for almost everything today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think most of us would see it and it bugs me to no end, but I have to step back and really think about how it is going to be presented to see if it really maters. Also, I have to weigh getting the shot with noise or not getting the shot at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deezey

I could really care less about noise in my day to day shooting. Yes there are some photos that I want the least amount of noise possible. But really noise is just fine.

Look at a lot of my shots. (Shamless I know) You will see noise everywhere. For me noise is far outweighed by the fun of just being out taking photos.

Noise is just another sales pitch.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Krs_2007

Noise and grain have always been an issue, wasn't saying that. I was referring more towards those that complain about it and don't fully understand how a camera works.

Like you said, you are aware of it and try to work around it.

i know the limitations of my equipment like most of us do, but I dont go to Internet forums and complain and blame the manufacturers

Back in the olden days if you shot 400 Soren film you got noise (grain) that was a fact if life. You worked with it and expected it. This has been an interesting thread to see that I was not alone in my thinking.

Deezey

Now don't get me wrong. I do watch my noise on flower and bug shots....but let's face it....I don't have a macro and I can only crop down so much. :D So yes I try not to post anything that looks like a connect the dot game.

I think manufacturers have built up this idea that noise is bad. And look at most reviews. Noise seems to be a huge factor. I think people also get the misconception from looking at published work. Yes they may state the camera values...but what about PP noise reduction?!

I believe this all adds up to buyers (new and some old) forming a very high opinion of what a dSLR should be able to do. They want these gorgeous magazine quality prints....but don't want to put the time in. Photography is a lot of things.....but easy isn't one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

mikew_RIP

Is a picture with noise better than no picture,my answer most of the time would be yes,i used to get frustrated with the noise from the D70 now ime pleased i have the pictures.

mike

WeeHector

The problem is one which only came into being with the digital age. With film, the grain was pronounced at 400 ISO and it was generally used for the express purpose of getting grainy B/W photos. They are extremely pleasing to the eye. With colour, the effect has to be matched to the subject.

Now, however, we we are into pixel counts where it is no longer that pleasing graininess but is actually just pixel noise which affects only certain parts of the shot. I haven't tried my D3100 at high ISO yet but will give it a try to see if it is possible to get an all-round grainy effect which resembles old film. It would be nice to get back to the old ways.