F-501 curtain

Nobody

I have just got an old F-501 all seems good but the curtain dose not move when viewed with the back open. Is this right?

rocketman122

take a look at the bottom area of the door area. not the door, but the body. there is a pin there (on my F5's it was there) some small plastic pin which tells the camera the door is closed. hold it in and then you can fire it.

I havent seen any nikon camera that will fire with the door open. I think its a safetly mechanism so the shutter doesnt get touched.

Bob Blaylock

take a look at the bottom area of the door area. not the door, but the body. there is a pin there (on my F5's it was there) some small plastic pin which tells the camera the door is closed. hold it in and then you can fire it.

I havent [sic] seen any nikon [sic] camera that will fire with the door open. I think its a safetly [sic] mechanism so the shutter doesnt [sic] get touched.

My F2 functions entirely normally, with the back open. The film advance works normally, and the shutter works normally, and everything works normally. There is a mechanism to detect when the back is open, but the only effect is that it resets the film counter, and the film counter does not advance when the back is open.

I can't think of any camera I've ever had whose mechanisms would not fully function with the back open. I mention the F2, specifically, because it and my D3200 are the only two Nikon cameras I've ever owned.

Brian

Most of the cameras with built-in motorized advance expect the film to put in, back closed, and auto-advance to the first frame. Cameras with manual advance usually work with the back open.