800 or 800E ???

oldsalt

Hi guys 'n gals,
I'm trying to decide ... do I get an 800 or the 800"E" - I shoot a lot of "macro" and also love "landscapes" ... I've read lots & lots of reviews/reports re resolution/clarity etc etc ... I'm changing from my D7000 because I want "full frame" so maybe that answers my own question, I want the whole 35mm frame equivalent... ahhhhhh "decisions decisions" - what to do ???
I'm not likely to be doing really big enlargements but will I look at every picture I take with my new camera and think "what would it have looked like with an 800E"................................... any comments - suggestions - helpful hints gratefully received.

cheers

Carolina Photo Guy

Hi guys 'n gals,
I'm trying to decide ... do I get an 800 or the 800"E" - I shoot a lot of "macro" and also love "landscapes" ... I've read lots & lots of reviews/reports re resolution/clarity etc etc ... I'm changing from my D7000 because I want "full frame" so maybe that answers my own question, I want the whole 35mm frame equivalent... ahhhhhh "decisions decisions" - what to do ???
I'm not likely to be doing really big enlargements but will I look at every picture I take with my new camera and think "what would it have looked like with an 800E"................................... any comments - suggestions - helpful hints gratefully received.

cheers

Sounds like you have already made up your mind and you just want us to help you justify it. Here's my advice, for what it's worth.

If you can afford the difference in price between the D800 and the D800E, then ALWAYS get the upgrade! In the long run it will be worth it, if for no other reason than when you go to sell it to get the Nikon D810S that will probably be out two weeks AFTER you get your D800E!:confused:

Hope this helps.

​Pete

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
D800E so that your mind won't play anymore games in your head thinking over and over if you made the right choice or not.

I think you will be very happy with the D800E. :eek:

Dr Daniels

Is the possibility of getting moiré in your shots a concern? Medium-format photographers seem to go around the problem just fine.

pedroj

I assume you have lens to suit the shift to FF if not you need a couple of FF to get the benefit of the extra megapixel..

Watch72

For the peace of mind, like what the others have said, get the D800E. It is "supposedly" to be sharper without the low pass filter. You can sleep better knowing you have the "better" of the two.

But, if you are not going to pixel peep every shot or print it big, for all practical purpose the D800 will do. I have looked at photos from both cameras, frankly the difference is not noticeable if no one tells you where to look (especially when you do not have the same shot with the E to compare with). Even so, I find it at 100% to be only minimal improvement.

After saying all that, I have to say I got myself the 800E last year. Am I regretting? - no, and like most others I like to sleep better at night.

As for moire - yes, I get them when there are lots of close vertical lines in the shot. Some you can get rid with post but others sort of become less noticeable when you enlarge the photo. So I manage and most of all have fun with it. You can't be wrong with either - so don't stress yourself too much with decisions, decisions - quickly go and grab one now and start taking pictures.

oldsalt

Sounds like you have already made up your mind and you just want us to help you justify it. Here's my advice, for what it's worth.

If you can afford the difference in price between the D800 and the D800E, then ALWAYS get the upgrade! In the long run it will be worth it, if for no other reason than when you go to sell it to get the Nikon D810S that will probably be out two weeks AFTER you get your D800E!:confused:

Hope this helps.

​Pete

Yep - I think you're right ............ to "E" or not to "E" that was the question (apologies to Shakespeare)..... I'm going to hit the phones tomorrow and get the best price on an "E",
thanks everybody.... and when my wife asks "why are you getting another camera?" I can say "the nice people on Nikonites told me to" heh heh heh

cheers

Scott Murray

Yep - I think you're right ............ to "E" or not to "E" that was the question (apologies to Shakespeare)..... I'm going to hit the phones tomorrow and get the best price on an "E",
thanks everybody.... and when my wife asks "why are you getting another camera?" I can say "the nice people on Nikonites told me to" heh heh heh

cheers
I just paid $3440 AUD here in Darwin NT ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head

cheers

I'll deny everything. I was simply helping you out and have a peace of mind which is also important. :devilish:

oldsalt

O.K. - thanks everybody ... but you know what I'd really like ??? - a camera that just takes "photos"... no video - no photshop onboard - no coffee machine - no etc etc .... "just like the good old days" - a camera was just that - a camera - for people like me it would make things a lot less expensive, I don't want to shoot video or do post-shot "photoshop" type stuff in the camera - I just want to take pictures ... ah well that boat has well and truely sailed and we all have to move with the times but I really would like to be able to buy an ordinary full frame digital camera without all the bells & whistles. (and if such a beast exists - please don't tell me - I don't want any more sleepless nights):smile-new:

O.K. rant over - now I'm off to buy an 800 E
cheers

gqtuazon

Gear Head
O.K. - thanks everybody ... but you know what I'd really like ??? - a camera that just takes "photos"... no video - no photshop onboard - no coffee machine - no etc etc .... "just like the good old days" - a camera was just that - a camera - for people like me it would make things a lot less expensive, I don't want to shoot video or do post-shot "photoshop" type stuff in the camera - I just want to take pictures ... ah well that boat has well and truely sailed and we all have to move with the times but I really would like to be able to buy an ordinary full frame digital camera without all the bells & whistles. (and if such a beast exists - please don't tell me - I don't want any more sleepless nights):smile-new:

O.K. rant over - now I'm off to buy an 800 E
cheers

That's typical for conservative and traditional photographers normally prefers. I know I used to think that way when I had my D700. However, time changes, it is nearly impossible to get a camera without video. Imagine how many bashers that the manufacturers will get if they don't have offer 1090p video.

You can just simply ignore that feature if you don't want to use it. Even the entry level cameras have video and film makes are using the D800 and D4 in making movies.

oldsalt

Thanks Glenn - you're right of course...
I've just been checking with a few local shops and I'm down to $3300 new or $2750 ex-demo from a "pro" shop ... still more decisions !!!
It's a lovely sunny afternoon here so I think I'll take a walk in the park and mull it over, the stores don't close till 5:30 so I've still got time to do something this afternoon, and if I do buy it today just think of all the fun I'll have this evening reading the manual and twiddling knobs & buttons.
cheers