Car show - hood ornament

Moab Man

For me the ornament needs to be much bigger. There is so much dead space my eye starts to wander to see what else is going on.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The highlights of the background fight to get my eye attention and keep me distracted from the main subject. Specially the one on the roof to she red pickup truck. I also find there is way too much dead space to the right.

Horoscope Fish

I'd say you've got some elements that are competing hard against your subject. The blue hood popped open in the background is what's killing me here, much like Marcel's red truck. My issue with the blue hood is that dynamic angle and the fact that it actually intersects your subject. Ack!

I don't think all the negative space is working *for* you in this shot. To really work negative space to be devoid of subordinate elements or, if that's not possible, the elements need to be supportive of your subject, at least that's my opinion. I do like the shot, you've got the subject facing in-frame, the shape of the ornament is interesting and elegant and the shot is well done overall.

EDIT: In playing around with this shot, I thought I'd crop it into a faux panoramic by taking some off the top, just enough to remove the bright skyline above the building and putting the whole thing on a Rule of Thirds grid, vertically as well as horizontally. Just my opinion, of course, but I think it strengthens the image overall.

Hood Ornament Cropped.jpg

Last edited:

carguy

I do agree about the negative space taking over a bit. When I took the shot, I had the rule of thirds in mind. Next time I'll focus more on the subject and do a better job ensuring that is the focal point of the image. Thanks :)