Check Your Lens Switches!

gohan2091

Hi all,

I've been learning photography for almost 2 years now. I've shot 4 weddings as well as a few christenings, among other things with good results. I actually own a Nikon D7100 but that's in for repair (Liveview and Playback are unavailable) so for the last 2 weddings, I've had to use my D5100. With the most recent wedding. I decided to photo the ceremony, guests indoors and do half the outdoor photos with my 16-85. When I decided to change lens to my Sigma 105mm Macro (beautiful lens by the way) I noticed my 16-85mm active switch was set to ON!! I didn't think too much of it but now I'm editing the photos, a lot of them are slightly soft. Nothing serious though. Would the client notice? Probably not, but I certainly do. The sharpness of the wedding photos with the 105mm to the 16-85 is pretty noticeable at 100% to me. I know the 16-85 lens is a pretty sharp lens so I would assume the active switch is to blame?

A word of advice to all of you. Check your lens switches!

EDIT: I've included a photo to show you what I mean (Click to make big). The couple have given me permission to use some of their photos in my portfolio. The photo here is hosted from my Behance portfolio. I shall delete the photo in a couple of days time.

hd_7154da202fdc4eaf0e7dcbd9f39e0480.jpg

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Active VR switch is normally used on certain conditions such as riding a vehicle on a bumpy road. There could be some effect and a margin of error as the VR tries to compensate something that it is expected but is not actually happening.

If they start viewing the digital files on a high resolution camera, it is likely to see the softness.

gohan2091

I've been reading my clients Facebook and some family members have posted mobile phone shots and the bride commented on how great they look. To me the mobile phone shots are full of noise, the photos have an unacceptable softness and poor colour. Lucky some of the shots came out pretty sharp and it's a good job I changed lens towards the end. Don't get me wrong, there are some sharp 16-85 photos but the active switch didn't do me any favours!

If my post prevents one person from making this mistake, then I will be happy. Live and learn. I made a mistake once at a christening and had bracketing turned on. I wondered why my exposures were constantly changing but I noticed after about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

donaldjledet

Me too.
Sometimes I hit the switch on the back of camera and turn on live view by accident. And go to shot photo
and nothing happens. So pull camera down and look at settings and see its recording video.
Also have done it to where i forgot to turn off the VR.

Sandpatch

I need to read up on this. So then the VR if left on will reduce sharpness in routine outdoor photos taken in standard hand-held (no tripod) fashion in good light?

Horoscope Fish

... So then the VR if left on will reduce sharpness in routine outdoor photos taken in standard hand-held (no tripod) fashion in good light?
In short, it can. VR is not the magic solution some people seem to think it is. The VR function is turned off on all my lenses until such time as I think I need it. Then, when it's no longer needed, it gets switched off again.

Thom Hogan has a lengthy, but excellent, article that explains in detail how Nikon's VR system works:

Thom Hogan's, Nikon VR Explained

gohan2091

I tend to leave my VR switch on all the time, UNLESS I am on a tripod, then I turn it off. The active switch is what I posted about though, it was a oversight.

wud

Could you show the image again? I wanna see what you mean with softness.

I dont shut this VR of, ever.