Using other brand flash with D3200

Stuart

Hi
I have an old Olympus T32 flash
Can I use this with my Nokia D3200?
The manuals say to not use anything other than a Nokia flash. Is this really the case?

thanks Don, yes I did mean Nikon (was trying to resuscitate phone that was put through the washing machine - twice)

Last edited:
Hi
The manuals say to not use anything other than a Nokia flash. Is this really the case?

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Did you mean a NIKON D3200?

And no do not use your Olympus flash on your NIKON camera.

Stuart

Thanks guys for the very quick responses.
There's some useful information on those links that suggest it MIGHT work, but I'm not prepared to take the risk so I'll go with your more experienced advice and look for a new flash.

Thanks

WayneF

Hi

thanks Don, yes I did mean Nikon (was trying to resuscitate phone that was put through the washing machine - twice)

All of the Nikon DSLR manuals say flash sync voltage up to 250 volts can be used (D3200 manual page 172, but it is in manuals for all models, at Optional Flash, where it says "use only Nikon flashes"). Not all cameras have limits that high.

Some old flashes could reach 180 volts or higher. Modern flashes are more like 5 volts. If any concern, the only way you will know what you have is to measure it yourself. Nothing could be easier. Any DC voltmeter, measuring at sync cable, or from Center pin on flash foot to the meta foot frame. Turn flash on, not connected to anything, and aim it away from your eyes (but not face down on anything its flash could scorch), and simply measure the voltage on the trigger pin. This can cause it to flash, which is OK if not into your eyes - shorting that center pin is how they are triggered.