What to look for when buying a Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 at a pawn shop?

bluebird

I'm looking for a good deal on a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens, manual or AF, for my D600.

I called around to the local secondhand and pawn shops, and found a 50mm Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 for $30 at a pawn shop down the road. I'm driving down to see it tomorrow.

What do I need to look for to make sure I'm getting a decent lens?

I know to bring a pocket flashlight and look for fungus and dust, and oil on the aperture blades. If there is a small amount of fungus around the periphery of the lens, should that be a dealbreaker? Or is this something that I can clean up/fix either myself or on the cheap? Does it matter whether it's on the front or rear glass? I've never taken apart a lens before, but I'm pretty good with delicate tools.

The owner also offered me the 100mm f2.8 Series E brought in at the same time, for an extra $50. Is that worth it? I already have a 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 VR AF-S, but I can see the value in another fast prime lens, and that price is amazing!

Whiskeyman

Look for a new 50 mm Nikkor AF-S 1.8, or the Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 D.

Really, there's no need to buy a Series E to put on a D600; you'll likely want the new AF Nikkor soon enough, and the price difference is going to be less than $200 US.

I have an old 50 mm Series E lens in a desk drawer around here somewhere. I took it off of an Nikon FE in the early 1980's and replaced it with a Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 and never looked back.

WM

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Look for a new 50 mm Nikkor AF-S 1.8, or the Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 D.

Really, here's no need to buy a Series E to put on a D600; you'll likely want the new AF Nikkor soon enough, and the price difference is going to be less than $200 US.

I have an old 50 mm Series E lens in a desk drawer around here somewhere. I took it off of an Nikon FE in the early 1980's and replaced it with a Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 and never looked back.

WM

What WM said unless you want to buy it for the sake of trying a MF lens.

50mm lenses are not really that expensive. I would get the 50mm f1.8G instead. I just bought one last week and it is a very good lens, worthy of being used with your D600.

STM

I'm looking for a good deal on a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens, manual or AF, for my D600.

I called around to the local secondhand and pawn shops, and found a 50mm Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 for $30 at a pawn shop down the road. I'm driving down to see it tomorrow.

What do I need to look for to make sure I'm getting a decent lens?

I know to bring a pocket flashlight and look for fungus and dust, and oil on the aperture blades. If there is a small amount of fungus around the periphery of the lens, should that be a dealbreaker? Or is this something that I can clean up/fix either myself or on the cheap? Does it matter whether it's on the front or rear glass? I've never taken apart a lens before, but I'm pretty good with delicate tools.

The owner also offered me the 100mm f2.8 Series E brought in at the same time, for an extra $50. Is that worth it? I already have a 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 VR AF-S, but I can see the value in another fast prime lens, and that price is amazing!

The 50mm f/1.8 Series E lens was a good lens, but not a great lens. The 50mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkor blew it away, especially in the corners. And it was multicoated, unlike the Series E lens, which was not. 50mm f/1.8 AIS Nikkors can be had in very good shape on Fleabay for under $100. You can't beat that with a stick.

bluebird

As someone new to Nikon, this terminology is making my head spin! Let me make sure I have this straight:

- Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 = $30 used, decent quality but not great. Maybe a cheap way to decide if a 50mm f1.8 will meet my needs before investing $220 in the new G lens?
- Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS = $100 used, really nice
- Nikkor 50mm f1.8D (AF)= $120 new, even better
- Nikkor 50mm f1.8G (AF-S) = $220 new, best?

I'm trying to figure out where I get the biggest bang for my buck. $30 to $100 isn't an enormous jump, but $30 to $220 is a pretty significant difference! I'm happy to pay it if I'm getting a better lens, but it seems like everywhere I look I find glowing reviews of all of these lenses, so it's really hard to figure out what's worth the extra cash!

The primary use of this lens will be for taking indoor portraits of my baby daughter, but I could easily see an AF version supplanting my 28-300mm as a walkaround lens to save the weight.

Ijustwant1

I can only comment on the 50mm 1.8G as I have it and I love it !!​ Yes I know I have said it before , so if you buy a cheaper lens then find out how much you like it, buying the new one just adds to the overall cost, so if cash permits go "G" and Gee I do love it

Whiskeyman

If you live near a camera shop with one, or know someone with a manual focus Nikkor lens, visit with your camera and a memory card and take some photos using manual focus. Take the card home and view the photos on your computer. You'll likely find that manual focusing isn't very easy, and that a manual focus lens leads to a lot of out of focus shots you'll discard, wishing you hadn't missed the shot. As your daughter grows and becomes mobile, you'll appreciate the auto-focus function even more.

If it were me, I'd skip the manual focus lens and go ahead and buy the AF-S Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 G. (It's one of the lenses that I already own.)

Good fortune with your decision.

WM

Last edited:

bluebird

I used manual focus for a long time while I was still on film, but I suppose I've gotten much pickier about my results since then :)

After the feedback here, I'm leaning towards autofocus after all so if I take the camera out and about, I can get a family member to take a picture of me without worrying about their manual focusing skills (while I try not to panic about whether said family member is about to drop my camera).

I read the specs, but practically speaking, what are the important differences between the D and the G?

Looks like I can swing either the D plus an SB-700 (the other thing on my wish list) or the G and have to wait a bit for the SB-700 (for bounce lighting portraits on gloomy days).

Whiskeyman

And your D600 likely doesn't have a manual focusing screen like your film camera did. The G has an integrated focusing motor which should improve focusing speed and performance, while the D doesn't have an integrated focusing motor, instead relying on the auto-focus drive motor on the camera body. On the 50 mm lens, probably not that big of a deal.

I can't knowledgeably comment on the optical quality differences of the two, but I realize you have a tough choice with the SB-700 need included.

Welcome to the world of N-A-S.

WM

Bill16

Warning: NAS is progressive. The more progress you make the stronger the NAS gets! Lol :D
Also like any other addiction, the more you get the more you want! Lol :D
This is really a Nikon addiction clinic, and it's run by fellow Nikon addicts! Nobody is offering a cure, just a support group to help you find your next fix! Lol :D

Just kidding of course! I'm not a Nikon addict! I can quit any time I like! I just don't want to is all! Lol :D

bluebird

I gave in and got both the 50mm f/1.8G and the SB-700. I decided I would rather just spend the extra money now instead of risking having another monthly photo session with less-than-ideal results.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I gave in and got both the 50mm f/1.8G and the SB-700. I decided I would rather just spend the extra money now instead of risking having another monthly photo session with less-than-ideal results.

Smart move. It will minimize buying and selling in the future by getting the best equipment that you are willing to spend.

Whiskeyman

That's exactly what I'll be telling myself as I eat PB&J for lunch for the next month :)

In 20 years, you'll have better photographs that will matter; eating PB&J for a month won't.

My last lens has me taking my lunch to work for about 3 months. I'm able to use the extra time at my desk to study camera manuals and additional books on photography.

WM