nikkor 105 micro 2.8 with d7100

nikonos

im using the nikon d7100 and now i got my first macro lens for this camera . the Nikon 105mm micro 2.8
im using it and i gotta say its an amazing lens Super sharp and super fast .
now if someone have some tips about using this lens please write a comment :)

Zimboy

Greetings,

I've also recently acquired the 105mm micro, and was on the brink of returning it because it was hunting focus too much and because it was a bit too heavy and huge for me. Was considering the 85mm micro instead. Well, boy am I glad I kept it! The more I use it the more I love it. Macro is a passion of mine, and I really enjoy hunting flying insects and trying to catch them (not easy..). I know autofocus is a no-go in macro but I found it quite helpful having such fast af when on the hunt. Isn't using a tripod quite restricting for mobility? What about a monopod - wouldn't that be good too?

Here's an image or two taken with my "old" D7000 before it died;

Bee polen frontal.jpg

nice bokeh behind that bumblebee, along with my sensor dust...
Bumblebee.jpg

compound flower w bee.jpg

Haven't figured out how to get the images to fit the screen but anyway...

Rick M

After you import your pics you can double click on them and you should see the option to post it large. With macro and the narrow depth of field, you are much better off with a tripod over a monopod. The mono is not going to restrict your bodies motion, any slight rocking is going to throw the shot out of focus.

Zimboy

Thanks Rick, what I meant was mobility as far as "oh darn that butterfly's gone again, let me chase it..." is concerned. I can't imagine it being any fun moving about from spot to spot with a full rig, or is it ok? Seeing as I mostly focus manually anyway, rocking on a monopod wouldn't bother me too much (I presume, haven't tried it yet).

Is there a trick to get around the narrow DoF on Fx bodies besides stopping down the aperture and upping the ISO?

Oh and I meant to ask, how does full frame work out for macro photography? I adore macro which is why I got the 105mm, and it's quickly becoming a favourite of mine. I immediately noticed that one can crank up the IS0 amazingly on the D600 without detrimental effects, but that the DoF is considerably smaller than with Dx. I knew that the smaller DoF was an asset of Fx, but for macro work it's a real drawback (I can imagine). How do you guys get around this? Do you just stop right down at high ISO? Who has macro experience with the 105mm on the D600?

And what does "focus throw: 270°" mean? Why is this focus throw (of the 105mm) not really stellar? Apparently it's good but not great - why? Is it true that one would run into focus shift issues if one attempts stacking by adjusting the focus ring bit-by-bit instead of using a macro mount?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Is there a trick to get around the narrow DoF on Fx bodies besides stopping down the aperture and upping the ISO?

Oh and I meant to ask, how does full frame work out for macro photography?

I don't have a D600 but I have experience in using it with my D800E if that qualifies?

With macro, I prefer to shoot in DX mode since it allows me to frame the subject farther away from the subject which gives me more Dof at lower f stop. With a tripod, I can keep the ISO low at 200 in order to get a really clean image without using a flash whenever the light is not optimal.

Here is a sample of that combo which I previously posted on the insects thread.

D800E and Nikon 105mm f2.8VR on a tripod, DX mode.

http://nikonites.com/learning-photography/607-post-your-insect-shots-20.html#post181163

Rick M

The thinner DoF is just as desirable in as many cases as it is not. You can stop down or move back a bit. Remember the Dx crop on the 105 make it almost 160mm so you have more perceived magnification. I use a strap on my tripod to throw it over my shoulder and sometimes just carry it over my shoulder with camera attached, depends how much walking I'm doing. I use a Thinktank Belt system so my hands/shoulders are free to carry the tripod. You'll find the slightest movement is a problem, either you are rock solid close up or you will loose a lot of good shots.

Zimboy

Ah, it's good to know that the Dx mode actually does have an effect on the DoF. When I asked the salesman if one can get around this issue with the Dx crop mode he answered no and that it would be just as useful to simply crop the image in post processing. I understand where he's coming from cos it's still the same sensor, same pixels, same glas & optics, just that one uses less of it in Dx mode, hence the DoF should be identical. Yet you say when in Dx mode you can have more reach hence greater DoF, that's good to know. Is there much difference between Dx mode on an Fx, and a real Dx sensor? (OK that's a silly question, I know.) Oh by the way, would using a teleconverter also help get around this problem? By gaining that extra reach, more DoF - would make sense. Then one would also have a "virtual" 210m lens. Yes I know one would loose light but maybe it's worth it?

Greetings,

Zimboy

Rick M

Remember and it is confusing, the "greater reach" and "more DoF" of dx are perception, not reality. You are simply reproducing the same image in a smaller rectangle. When the perceived magnification is increased , the DoF appears greater. On an Fx camera, the Dx mode simply uses a smaller area of the sensor. The D600 in Dx mode uses only about 10mp. In the same area, the D7100 packs in 24mp. That being said, If I wanted to shoot dx allot for those perceived qualities, I'd buy a D7100.