Really need help! Crazy pixels!

Furneaux

Firstly, hi my name's Fern and I'm new here! I'm a UK based photographer in the making.

I've just recently bought a D600 and it's great, except for one fatal flaw.

Weird clusters/lines and dashes of pixels in mostly pink/red/blue colours that appear randomly in areas of peaking exposure or bright areas. They aren't really visible on the LCD unless you zoom right in. I've been editing them out in Photoshop. They are totally random and do not appear in the same place ever so I've ruled out dead/stuck pixels. They aren't oil either. Nikon do not know what they are so I'm sending my camera in for analysis/repair - however I have a friend's wedding to shoot before I send it back (otherwise I won't get my camera back in time)

So I was wondering if any of you lot knew what it could be?

thanks! Example 1 crop.jpgExample 2 crop.jpgExample 3 crop.jpgExample 6 crop.jpg

WhiteLight

Do these appear on the RAW files too?
Or only after you process them?
If it's only after processing it could be a faulty Photoshopping session/copy/method whatever, but would rule out any issue with your D600.
​Also do they appear if you shoot JPG?

Horoscope Fish

I'm no digital camera technician but that sure smells like CCD distortion to me...

Since it shows up on your output files and on your LCD it pretty much has to be coming from the sensor.

Is your camera still under warranty?

Furneaux

I know right? SO WEIRD.
It's still under warranty as I only bought it last month. I've emailed Nikon and they're happy to take a look at it but the only hangup is I've got another shoot to squeeze in before I send it off, as they said the turnaround for repair could be up to 2 weeks.

To confirm these were shot in RAW. I reckon it must be a sensor problem but Nikon have commented that it's very unusual and uncommon :(

Thanks for your input guys, more advice would be greatly appreciated! More the merrier! I'm desperate haha.

Blade Canyon

Those definitely are not hot pixels (which I've had), because your problem spots follow contours and are in different places on each picture. It has to be something in the processor; that is the only thing that makes any sense. If it were a PC, I would reboot it, but not sure how to do that on the D600.

Is your Active-D lighting on? Turn that off, and anything else that might use the processor (noise reduction). HDR off. Vignette control off. Etc. Then shoot some low res JPEGs with RAW off, then go back to RAW and large normal JPEG. That might give the processor a chance to reload the image program. If that doesn't work, Nikon owes you a new processor or something.

Last edited:

clarnibass

Sorry that I don't have a suggestion, but it looks like a defective... something. Maybe sensor, but maybe more like something in the "brains". Hard to say. The suggestions above are worth trying, but I imagine it's unlikely to be something that is possible to fix by yourself (but maybe?).

aroy

What lens are you using? Looks to be a lense flare or over saturation problem.

One method of checking is
. Underexpose the shot one or two stops. The D600 has sufficient dynamic range so you can recover quite a bit in RAW.
. Use a lower ISO. Best use 100 and then check.
. If you have a prime lense use it or borrow the 50mm f1.8D.

If the problems persist then
. it is a sensor electronics or processor problem.
. By the way does this happen when it is hot, if so then the camera is over heating. In either case it warrants a warranty replacement.

If it does not then
. Problem persists with your current lens, but not with a prime : change it
. Problem goes away at lower ISO or on underexposing : you have to use exposure compensation.
. Problem is only at high ISO : check at what level it stops. If it is below 3000, camera needs calibration at Nikon