Force flash

dauss

I was outdoors taking some pictures in the daylight, but I needed some flash to light up the person, because the background was too bright. Is there a way to force the on-camera flash to fire when you want?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Or switch to Auto mode and it will always use the pop-up flash. Better way is what Don mentioned by releasing the flash button on your camera.

John P

Just pop it up in Aperture, or manual mode.
If you pop it up, it will fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

sOnIc

Are you not referring to the flash-sync speed preventing the flash from being available? The flash cannot be used with shutter speeds faster than 200th/sec, and there is absolutely no way around this at all. So to get the flash to fire you could use shutter-priority mode set to 200th/sec so the camera will adjust the other settings for correct exposure but will definitely use the flash if it is popped-up, you just gotta watch motion blur with fast moving subjects.

Or you have to find other ways of achieving a similar effect, like using the Photoshop eraser to reveal a +2ev layer behind your primary layer; which has worked very well for me in a few shots. Another idea is these continuous LED lights for DSLR's which might help me with skateboarding photography; but looks a bit overkill for most situations.

I was a bit shocked when I first realised this limit; but it's not the end of the world. Hope that helps.