Lens Compatibility

CTFCross

Bit of help needed please.

I'm currently looking into getting a new/new to me 70-300mm Lense.

I have seen these and I'm wondering if they are compatiable with my Nikon D3200.

If you could help I'd be very thankful.

Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 G Lens

Tamron AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro

So Will these lenses work in Autofocus ? Manual ?

​Rather confused.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
With Nikon lenses, if the lens has a designation AF-S or SWM, it will AF with your camera. If you are going to get the 70-300mm lens, make sure you get the VR lens. It is sharper than the older lens.

Dave_W

The Dude
I own this lens (Nikkor) and love it. Assuming it's the newer VRII lens then would urge you buy this one over the Tamron lens. And yes, this lens will auto-focus. Any lens with the "AF-S" will work

Bill16

It doesn't look like the lenses you have listed will auto focus on your Nikon model. Your Nikon model requires AF-S lenses to auto focus. AF-S will be on the lens of any lenses designed to auto focus on your model of Nikon.:)

donaldjledet

Yes it will but you will have to get tamron lens for nikon if you went that wat.
​Like Dave I also have the Nikkor 70-300mm. and its great.

CTFCross

Yes it will but you will have to get tamron lens for nikon if you went that wat.
​Like Dave I also have the Nikkor 70-300mm. and its great.

Oh yes I know I need the version of Tamron for nikon, I do want the nikkor version but I just cannot afford it at the moment :/

mikew_RIP

As stated the best would be the latest Nikon 70-300,if this is above your budget (most of us have budgets) you could consider the latest Nikon 55-300 with vr,these are available from ebay dealers with very good feedback at under £200.

mike

Bill16

I'm sorry for the confusion your feeling. Lenses with just AF on them lack the motor inside the lens and will require a camera with a motor in it to auto focus. Your camera doesn't have a motor in it for auto focus, so you need lenses that do have the motor in them if you want to auto focus. The lenses with the auto focus motor in them are AF-S lenses.I hope this helps clear up the confusion a bit. :)

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus LensAF017NII-700 This says it does. Im so confused.

Currently looking for a Nikon 79-300AFS anyway.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm sorry for the confusion your feeling. Lenses with just AF on them lack the motor inside the lens and will require a camera with a motor in it to auto focus. Your camera doesn't have a motor in it for auto focus, so you need lenses that do have the motor in them if you want to auto focus. The lenses with the auto focus motor in them are AF-S lenses.I hope this helps clear up the confusion a bit. :)

Bill, the whole "AF-S" applies only to Nikkor lenses. I'm 99% sure this Tameron will work with his camera.

riverside

Oh yes I know I need the version of Tamron for nikon, I do want the nikkor version but I just cannot afford it at the moment :/

I spent a lot of time with reviews and evaluations on the Nikon and Tamron Di VC USD SP AF (not the DI LD) 70-300 lenses. Pretty much a toss-up with several favoring the Tamron. For the significant price difference, I purchased the Tamron.