Compatibility with older lenses

bluebird

I'm looking for a good deal on a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 lens for indoor portraits. I've been looking at Craigslist and eBay to see if I can find a good deal used. I'm having a hard time figuring out, though, what AI, AI-S and non-AI mean in terms of compatibility with my new D600. I'm ok with manual focus (the AF-S on my camera sometimes has a hard time during baby portrait sessions), but I want to make sure the lens will be compatible with my camera. What functionality do I lose by using an older lens? I used an OM-1 for years so I'm comfortable with manual controls, but if I'm going to lose some serious functionality beyond just the autofocus, I want to know! When I start using flash, will this cause any issues?

Or do I really need to get the newer AF or AF-S lenses?

Sorry to be posting so many silly beginner questions all at once!!

nzswift

I use a D600 with a variety of older glass (it was in fact the main reason for the purchase as it had a 36X24 sensor at a non-astronomical price) and they perform flawlessly. Almost all AI or AIS lenses will work, the exceptions being the exotics, 16mm fisheyes, etc. AI/AIS lenses can be identified by having rabbit ears (aperture coupling tab) which have a slot with a small hole on either side. Non AI lenses have only the slot and no holes each side. These lenses will not work and may in fact damage your camera. AIS lenses always have the minimum aperture painted in orange. The only function you will you lose is auto focus. Flash will work OK in TTL mode. The procedure for setting up your camera for AI/AIS lenses is on p172 of your manual. Get one, you'll love the silky feel of focussing a Nikkor manual lens

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What functionality do I lose by using an older lens? When I start using flash, will this cause any issues?

Or do I really need to get the newer AF or AF-S lenses?

Older MF AI / AIS lenses also do not come with a CPU or a chip to transmit the data of the lens being used. You will have to manually do this on your menu settings to tell the camera the type of lens is mounted. Flash will function or meter properly via TTL.

AFS lenses has a focus over ride unlike the D lenses.

Bill16

I use my 105mm the most and it's a converted non-ai to ai lens on my D3100 and I love it. Now I do wish I could afford the newer 105mm micro to get the 1:1, but this manual lens focuses like a dream! :D

bluebird

Thanks so much for the info, everyone! I think I've got it narrowed down to an AI-S Series E on craigslist for $45 or the AF-D new for $120.

Thanks very much for the page # in the manual! It was very helpful to actually read the setup instructions.