PhotoPills App

Scott Murray

I have been doing some research in regards to planning events such as photographing the milky way and meteor showers etc, I have come across this app it it seems to incorporate everything I want and more.

PhotoPills | Shoot legendary photos

photopills.jpg 1_aa_Planner.jpg photo-1b.jpg photo-5d.jpg photo-3d.jpg

PhotoPills is packed photography tools, such as:

• Sunrise/sunset calendar
  • Moon phase calendar
  • Moon distance calendar
  • Solstice/equinox dates
  • Exposure calculator
  • Depth of field calculator
  • Hyperfocal distance table
  • Field of view calculator
  • Star trail calculator
  • Time lapse calculator

davt

Looks good. I have an app called LightTrac, which works for the basics, no where near as many functions as this one.

oldsalt

Thanks for that tip Scott - I e-mailed them and they say they are working on an android version but they are a small team and it may take some time for it to come on the market ... worth the wait I'd say - either that or I have to go out and buy an I-phone... just let me check my wallet ... nope all gone on Nikon stuff I'm afraid.... heh heh
cheers

I have been using it for a while. It is really great when you are in an area that you are not familiar with like the beach and want to shoot a sunrise or sunset. This way you can find a beach that give you the angle you want. There is one place in my town I want to shoot a sunset but there is a very narrow window where the sunset is in the right place. I can use the app to find that date and time. Then I just have to set the date in my iPhone to give me a few days notice so I can plan the shot.

blackstar

Hello, newbie here. Although this thread is old, I think the topic (the app) is still on and advancing. As I am a new user (and learner) of the photopills, I quickly met one disturbing issue with the Planner: say at home in Portland, OR, I want to set a trip plan to Paris, France. How can I quickly direct the map to Paris? There seems no way to simply type the place name or other simple way to do this. So far, I can only manage to make it the hard way: from current location (home), extend (zoom out) the map until it covers and contains the destiny and then zoom in to and find the target location. Since there are many long time users here, I reckon you would kindly point out what I have missed on this basic task I need to simplify. Thanks for the help.