Tokina AT-X100 AF 100mm f2.8 macro

Ironwood

Does anyone have any experience with this lens ?

I have the opportunity to pick one up off someone that doesn't need it anymore.

I have read plenty of reviews online on various sites, most/all give it a good review.

​But,,,, I would really like to hear from someone who has this lens and uses it regularly, and if they can compare it to any other lenses they have, or have had.

Fred Kingston

As you know, I have it... and have sent you a PM.. It's a great lens... as I summarized in my PM to you, I'd buy it again if something happened to the one I have... There's very little difference between focal lengths of the Nikon 85mm 1.8G... but the macro capability and sharpness of the Tokina makes the price very especially attractive...

singlerosa_RIP

I've had the Tokina for almost 2 years and find it very good for macro work. Great build guality, ability to quickly swtch from auto to manual focus and super IQ. Only thing lacking is VR, which is not that limiting as you can see in this hand held shot @ 1/60, f/5.6 ISO 200

wild flower (1 of 1).jpg

Here's one (also shot on D7000), tripod mounted 1/180 sec, f/11, ISO 100 w/flash.
water droplets-140.jpg

Ironwood

As you know, I have it... and have sent you a PM.. It's a great lens... as I summarized in my PM to you, I'd buy it again if something happened to the one I have... There's very little difference between focal lengths of the Nikon 85mm 1.8G... but the macro capability and sharpness of the Tokina makes the price very especially attractive...

Fred, thanks for your reply, and PM.
As I said in the PM reply, I am almost ready to buy this lens, the only thing that is holding me back a little, is because I have been saving money to buy a Nikon 300mm f4, I almost have enough saved to buy it now, but if I now buy the Tokina, it will set me back in time to get the 300 f4..... I just have to decide what I want to give priority.

I've had the Tokina for almost 2 years and find it very good for macro work. Great build guality, ability to quickly swtch from auto to manual focus and super IQ. Only thing lacking is VR, which is not that limiting as you can see in this hand held shot @ 1/60, f/5.6 ISO 200

Hi Jim, they are a nice couple of shots there, thanks for your help in deciding. All the reviews I have read on this lens say it is super sharp.
Yes having VR would be a bonus, but I can live without.
​I like the fact that everyone seems to like the manual focus ring on this lens.

Is your first shot of the flower also with the D7000 ?

Ironwood

Well after seeing the thread about Nikon Rumours, and the new model 300 f4 VR that might come out soon, I finally decided to get the macro lens now and wait and see what happens with the 300mm.
If the new one is too much money for me, I might be able to pick up an old model (the current one ) for a good price.

​I was too slow for the Tokina that I was watching, it has been sold. I will have a bit of a look around and see if anything else is worth looking at, but I am thinking I might end up getting a new Tokina 100.

Ironwood

Brad,
​Did you ever get the tokina, was just looking at this lens.

Hi Kevin. No, I was too slow deciding and someone beat to the one I was looking at.
I almost bought a new one after that, but have been back and forth with indecision. I have decided I want a lens with VR, because I think it will be better for me when I use it for handheld flower shots etc.

I almost finally decided on a new Sigma 105 f2.8 OS, but then I found a deal on a Nikon 105 VR that a lady was selling, it sounded too good to be true, she had mixed up the prices on a number of lenses that she was selling and listed the 105 for $300. She told me she would sell it to me for $400, I agreed on this if the lens checked out OK.
Well now she is not returning my calls or emails, so I assume she is reneging on the deal.
​So I am back to looking at the Sigma.

Krs_2007

Wow, hate to hear that. I would prefer VR as well, just can't get the nikon yet. I know that the 100 range is what I want, the boss said I need to chill for a bit. I might just wait and get the nikon, but the tokina has such a nice price and good reviews.

​ Oh well, NAS right.

if you get the sigma then report back on it when you can.

thanks

Scott Murray

I am thinking of getting a 200mm Macro if I can find one for a decent price. I want to get closer to my bugs and have them fill the entire frame with out me having to crop down. :)

Ironwood

I was very tempted by this lens, Sigma 180mm F2 8 APO Macro EX DG OS HSM TO Suit Nikon Full Frame | eBay
​I read a dozen or so reviews on this lens, and it sounds like the goods.
I did have enough money to buy it, but spent some of it lately on a tripod and ballhead from this same seller.
Also ordered a 1.4 TC and a led ringflash and some other stuff. So I am back down to 105mm territory.
And it looks like my deal on the Nikon 105 is back on, will find out more later today.

Last edited: