Which 85mm lens for me?

Joshjpe12

Nikon 85mm f/1.8G or Sigma 85mm f/1.4

I read that the Nikon has some troubles on focus and flares. And I need a 1.4 for my events photography and also portraiture. The Nikon 85mm f/1.4G version is quite expensive for my budget, and then I read also that the Nikon 85mm f/1.4D is a bit of an old lens for me, slow focus also on motorized Nikon bodies.

So which would you go with?

I have a nikon D80, and Nikon D7000, and soon a Nikon D800E. Again, I am an events photographer which covers weddings, debuts, parties, burials, christenings, etc.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Nikon 85mm f/1.8G or Sigma 85mm f/1.4

I read that the Nikon has some troubles on focus and flares. And I need a 1.4 for my events photography and also portraiture. The Nikon 85mm f/1.4G version is quite expensive for my budget, and then I read also that the Nikon 85mm f/1.4D is a bit of an old lens for me, slow focus also on motorized Nikon bodies.

So which would you go with?

I have a nikon D80, and Nikon D7000, and soon a Nikon D800E. Again, I am an events photographer which covers weddings, debuts, parties, burials, christenings, etc.

I have the Nikon 85 D 1.8 and use it on the D200 and D2x and it focuses as quickly as my newer lenses. i would think that if a newer model is within your budget, that would be the way to go. Mine was a "leftover" from my F5 film days and I tend to be a fan of old Nikon lenses. Still excellent quality and I certainly have no complaints.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That's a tough one. The Nikon 85mm f1.8G is slightly sharper and cheaper but I prefer the OOF or bokeh that the Sigma provides. I hope that helps.

Cowleystjames

I have the Nikon 85mm 1.4g and is worth every penny. The bokeh is amazing and is as crisp wide open as at f11. Incredible! And being a Nikon, I'll never lose money on it unlike a third party lens.

Joshjpe12

That's a tough one. The Nikon 85mm f1.8G is slightly sharper and cheaper but I prefer the OOF or bokeh that the Sigma provides. I hope that helps.

Well thanks for your advice/tips. May I ask you a question, I see that you have the Nikon 16-35 f/4 on your lineup. Why didnt you get the 17-35 f/2.8?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Well thanks for your advice/tips. May I ask you a question, I see that you have the Nikon 16-35 f/4 on your lineup. Why didnt you get the 17-35 f/2.8?

Based on comparison, the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR is sharper than the 17-35mm f2.8. I really don't need a f2.8 for landscape use, so the 16-35mm makes more sense for me.

Joshjpe12

Based on comparison, the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR is sharper than the 17-35mm f2.8. I really don't need a f2.8 for landscape use, so the 16-35mm makes more sense for me.

Oh, I didn't get the landscape photographer part earlier. Anyway, yes, makes more sense.

clarnibass

And I need a 1.4 for my events photography and also portraiture.
If you need f/1.4 then you need f/1.4 and an f/1.8 lens doesn't have what you need. I wouldn't get an f/1.8 lens if I needed f/1.4.

If you are willing to get an f/1.8 then maybe you don't really need f/1.4?

I would and did choose the Nikon 1.8G, but that's because I prefer it over the Sigma. Hard to explain why. I just sligthly prefer the way photos look with that lens. It's subjective and I'm sure others would prefer the Sigma, it's just preference.

BTW the 1.4G wasn't worth its price to me over the 1.8G and FWIW I rarely even use an aperture smaller than f/2.2 (I mean in general, not just with this lens). But it is worth it to some people and a good option to consider too.

Last edited:

Cowleystjames

Used the 1.4 yesterday for family gathering, the low light ability is incredible (well I didn't want to wake the baby up with flash), simply the best as Tina said!

aroy

In this focal length the Nikon lenses are better - sharpness and aberration. The "D" and "G" versions are quite close together.

As pointed out if you need f1.4 then f1.8 will not do. If you can do with an f1.8, why bother with f1.4?

Michael J.

I think about to get the Nikon 85mm f1.8G to take photos of my daughters dance performance. I already have the Nikon 50mm f 1.8

The performances are actualy in colored light or low-light with spot lights moving around as same as a concert condition.

Do you have any other suggestions what kind of lenses I should buy for this events? Prime or zoom or ?

aroy

I think about to get the Nikon 85mm f1.8G to take photos of my daughters dance performance. I already have the Nikon 50mm f 1.8

The performances are actually in colored light or low-light with spot lights moving around as same as a concert condition.

Do you have any other suggestions what kind of lenses I should buy for this events? Prime or zoom or ?

If you can afford it, get the 85mm 1.4G, else 1.4d (assuming the camera supports the "D" lens). Their low light performance will reduce the need for higher ISO, hence you will get better quality. The 1.4G is the sharpest, while the 1.8d has least distortion. The price difference (at least in India is quite a lot the 1.8d at Rs.26k, the 1.4d at Rs.72k and the 1.4g at Rs.130k.

In general the primes will be faster so you can shoot at lower ISO if flash is not allowed. On the other hand if Flash is allowed then a zoom will help in getting just the right framing.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

The performances are actualy in colored light or low-light with spot lights moving around as same as a concert condition.

Go with the 1.8 G. I had the 1.8 D and replaced it with the G and am quite happy of the performance. Your only other solution would be to get the Rokinon-Vivitar 84 1.4 for about $350. But, it's a manual focus lens. But it's sharp, very sharp. If you do get the Rokinon, make sure you get the one with the nikon chip for focusing and metering.