SB-28 flashes used manually

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Going through some of my 35mm film gear, I have 2 SB-28 flashes which I used in TTL with 35mm film. Are these compatible with DSLR's when used in manual (I know they won't meter TTL on a DSLR), and is there any way they can work as a Nikon CLS flash? If so, would I need any type of adapter to use them as a CLS flash? If not, any suggestions on how I might be able to use them? I also own an SB-910. Thanks for any info.

Edit: camera bodies are D90 and D600.

WayneF

Yes, they always work fine in Manual flash mode, no problem.

No, you cannot use them in any way with the Commander system. You must turn the Commander OFF.

Or, you must select either Commander, or a real Manual system, and then go with that system, as it was designed to be used.

See How to trigger speedlights Off camera about triggering them.

The SB-910 has its SU-4 mode, which just becomes an optical slave (an excellent one).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, they always work fine in Manual flash mode, no problem.

No, you cannot use them in any way with the Commander system. You must turn the Commander OFF.

Or, you must select either Commander, or a real Manual system, and then go with that system, as it was designed to be used.

See How to trigger speedlights Off camera about triggering them.

The SB-910 has its SU-4 mode, which just becomes an optical slave (an excellent one).

Wayne, many thanks for the information! It is greatly appreciated!!! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

WayneF

According to this link, the SB-28 is not compatible to work in high speed flash sync. :( *sigh*

FWIW, and technically, the SB-28 does do FP HSS flash, with the cameras it is compatible with, but which does not include the CLS cameras today. CLS is the method of communication between camera and flash.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
FWIW, and technically, the SB-28 does do FP HSS flash, with the cameras it is compatible with, but which does not include the CLS cameras today. CLS is the method of communication between camera and flash.

Ahhh. Okay. Now I understand! Thank you, Wayne! ;)